Self hosting cloud storage

Hi!
I have come to the conclusion that I need to set up a self hosting storage (that can be reached from anywhare).
This is just for me and my kids (they just moved away from home! But they still want to have contact with some music and movies!)
Everywhere I read about this it’s always about big entreprises.
I would like to set up something smaller and Open Source!
We use google-drive and drop-box at work and I am not very fond of them.

Should I use a separate computer for this?

It should be compatible with both Mac, IOS and Windows.

Is it possible to create such a solution without being dependent on a third-party?

Thankful for advice and hints

womp

1 Like

If you can do it from home, and are familiar with such processes, Nextcloud is definitely something to look into. Else find an affordable VPS provider, and Nextcloud is definitely something to look into.

Although ownCloud is another. And theres still more.

https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign has peaked my interest as of late.

I also use Hetzner Cloud for my someone-elses-computer activities. It’s quite affordable in comparison to others. But for large storage maybe not so much.

Thanks man!
I will check it out!

womp

1 Like

I only worry about compatibility with the devices I run. So if you run Mac, IOS, and Win, it’s best to be compatible… :wink:

Well. Nextcloud is giving me alot of errors. Nothing really works! I do not have enough knowledge in this. At the moment I do not have time to read thru hundreds of pages to find the error.
I think I have to try something else.

womp

I haven’t given up yet with nextcloud. (Still searching and configuring) but I found a very easy way to have access to my hardware: Teamviewer. I will explore this and continue with trial and error on nextcloud!
I switched from nginx to apache. (better documentation).

womp

not sure if you went the local or VPS route, but this is a handy to guide using Docker

Great!
This looks interesting!!

womp