Script to toggle between WM's (OB & i3 in this case)

First, please someone tell me if this is not the place to be asking these kinds of thing &/or if I am being a pain

But this seems to be the place where people (a) ‘know these things’, and (b) seem to like (or have the patience, at least) to help

I have cobbled together the very basic script to skip between OB and i3 WM’s via a reboot, which I will bind to a keybind:
(Using the results of this thread as a template)
The reason for the nextcloud bits are explained in the thread in the link above)

#!/bin/bash

sed -i 's/\(exec \)openbox-session/\1i3/;t;s/\(exec \)i3/\1openbox-session/' ~/.xinitrc

{ pkill nextcloud && sleep 1; }; systemctl reboot

#{ pkill nextcloud && sleep 1; }; session-logout >/dev/null 2>&1 || pkill -15 -t

It works, which I am happy about

The last line, commented out, is my attempt (stolen from ~.local/bin/rofi_run) to avoid a full reboot and just logout

If I comment out the reboot line and uncommnent the logout line, it also works, but I have to then type ‘exit’ after logging out to get into the other WM

Is there anyway to automate this ‘exit’ bit (i.e. a kind of logout-login like a reboot?

And/or is it worth it - is there any advantage in doing a logout-login over a reboot? Everything gets killed anyway doesnt it?

The aim of this is to start moving to i3, and this helps me in this.
And I’m curious to learn stuff as ever.

Cheers

1 Like

Use a symbolic link to switch might be easier. That’s how Slackware does it.

5 Likes

Thanks @chroot
Homework for me :smiley:

Try THIS or THAT :wink:

2 Likes

THIS looked a bit too scary for someone of my ‘talents’ :smiley:

So I stuck with ‘my’ simple script to sed .xinitrc and then reboot into the other WM

Then I simply added it to @natemaia 's rofi_run rather than my first idea of a keybind, after I hit the keybind by mistake and -ooops!

case "$(rofi -sep "|" -dmenu -i -p 'System' -width 20 -hide-scrollbar \
					-line-padding 4 -padding 20 -lines 6 <<< " Lock| Logout| Reboot| OBi3| Suspend| Shutdown")" in
					*Lock) i3lock-fancy ;;
					*Reboot) { pkill nextcloud && sleep 1; }; systemctl reboot ;;
					*OBi3) ~/.local/bin/WM_Toggle ;;
					*Shutdown) { pkill nextcloud && sleep 1; }; systemctl -i poweroff ;;
					*Suspend) systemctl suspend ;;
					*Logout) session-logout >/dev/null 2>&1 || pkill -15 -t tty"$XDG_VTNR" Xorg ;;

Well, it works at least.