Scaling in archlabs/linux

I’ve tried a few different desktop environments, and only successfully had ui scaling on unity, deepin, enlightenment (some offending apps), and mate (although not much) for my 1920x1080 laptop. I am currently trying the openbox environment in the default setup for archlabs and was wondering how much scaling can be done here?

System:    Host: archlabs Kernel: 4.20.8-arch1-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: ArchLabs Linux 
Machine:   Type: Virtualbox System: innotek product: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: <root required> BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 35.0 Wh condition: 50.0/50.0 Wh (100%) 
CPU:       Single Core: Intel Pentium 4415U type: MCP speed: 2304 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter driver: vboxvideo v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x950~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.3 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet driver: e1000 
           Device-2: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI type: network bridge driver: piix4_smbus 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 8.00 GiB used: 5.43 GiB (67.9%) 
Info:      Processes: 108 Uptime: 1h 05m Memory: 985.0 MiB used: 228.4 MiB (23.2%) Shell: zsh inxi: 3.0.30

Especially since it uses xfwm in the backgroud maybe there’s something I can do?
Btw, happy a c compiler is included :slight_smile:

I’m not sure why you need to scale on a 1080p screen?

I’m not sure either, but the fonts and ui by default are for small, windows scales my laptop by default as well.

The xrandr command can scale, for example:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.25x1.25

Find your active output with the plain xrandr command then add the desired value to the openbox autostart command list.

A better approach may be to enforce the correct DPI value:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Display_size_and_DPI

Thank you! Although I’ve been told that dpi is not the actually solution, but its what the main desktops seem to use.

You can add this to ~/.Xresources (it should be loaded at startup) and change the value to something that works for you.

Xft.dpi: 92

or from a shell

echo 'Xft.dpi: 92' | xrdb

Downside is this only works for Xft.

If you’re using xinit then you can do something like

startx -- -dpi 92

These are what I use currently to fix my scaling issues