He gets right on to
The friction of the day

RIP

2 Likes

Pretty much it sadly @xstefen

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice pic.

The NFL (American football) playoff games have added Rush to the bumper music heading into commercials. Normally it’s all pop/techno/dance stuff.

Epic.

1 Like

That’s cool to hear.

Very sad indeed!
womp

2 Likes

These just came out from The Rythm magazine online

2 Likes

There was a debate over on a forum I used to post in, declaring the Peart was the greatest rock drummer, ever. Naturally, I disagreed, because to be “the greatest” would have to include having the greater influence in rock music, and being that rock music in itself isn’t predicated on virtuosity or technique - and even with that criteria overall, Peart wouldn’t make my Top Ten - it really comes down to how many drummers were influenced, how much the music was influenced, and how long the influence has lasted over time.

Of course when I posted the name Ringo Starr, a whole lot of controversy started among a bunch of dudes who played fantasy football more than they played with their own kids lulz. Yet there weren’t hardly any record producers who would tell a seasoned pro like Jim Keltner to “play it like Peart” back when he first hit the studios (where producers wanted drummers to “play it like Ringo”), and unless you are into bands like Dream Theater - to which even still you don’t hear much Rush in it - drummers today are more influenced by Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, Dennis Chambers, and the king of all when it comes to influence today - Vinnie Colaiuta.

Even when it comes to double bass drums and patterns, you rarely if ever heard Peart play them in a pattern, like even Alex Van Halen had. There is one tune off of bassist Jeff Berlin’s first solo record where I heard Peart play the bass drums in a pattern - the patented Billy Cobham double bass drum shuffle (think Van Halen “Hot for Teacher”) - which he played alongside drummer Steve Smith, in only sections that had the shuffle. Outside of that, I can’t recall any other song where he played double bass drum patterns over several bars of music, but I could had missed one or two, but that is how sparse they are.

When it came to sound and style, Peart had both that were unique, but only in the context of Rush. It’s not like Terry Bozzio over the years, with Bozzio playing with Frank Zappa, U.K., The Brecker Brothers, Missing Persons, Jeff Beck etc., or a drummer such as Simon Phillips, whose artist and track list is way too long to mention here.

Peart is a much deserved Hall of Fame drummer, and I am only putting him in context within the drums and percussion world - as drummer Bill Bruford once said “the percussion world is a big one” - so this is not a criticism in as much as an analysis, and a not very thorough one I must admit. As a lyricist, well there is no “drummer/lyricist” category in music, you’re a lyricist, or not, and then if we had to put him among such lyricists as Paul Simon, Carole King, Donald Fagen, Stevie Wonder, well you get the idea.

I did happen to see one Rush concert in my lifetime, and it was cool to see a crowd of Rush nerds air drum to Peart’s fills. That is what made him unique, because what he played was that translatable to everyone.

1 Like

Yep, anyways he was more into prog to me, also, there would always be debates over what s best whatever the field. As Ringo you can name the song by its drummings.

I must say that loads of drummers ( pros or not ) got into drums because of him.

1 Like

There are guys I work with that are into Rush big time, and they always bring it up with me, because they know I play drums, know that I am not a big Rush fan, but also know the kind of music and drummers I am into. Some of them play music, just at the jam level, and every once in a while, they ask to me to come over and jam. They can’t do any Rush however lol, but one time while I went over, and just to satiate their Rush jones and curiosity if I could play any Rush, I pulled out “YYZ” on the crappy little drumset they had in the jam room. Now I never, ever had rehearsed or practiced YYZ before, but it’s not that hard to play once you have tried playing any Zappa or Chick Corea, and I am pretty good at memorization, hearing something and being able to play it, predicated on it’s complexity. I did all the big fills on the small kit, pulled a solo of my own, and ended the whole Rush conversation with them going forward lol.

But it showed what made Peart so popular with people who didn’t play drums. They knew every note he played, and if I clammed a note or a fill, they would know it. He was that consistent and identifiable, and musical to where people heard his drumming like it was a song, and that’s what made him great, like Ringo. @altman

1 Like

Yep, pretty much it I guess @drummer

It also depends on the tunes, some are tougher to play than others as other well known drummers either in jazz or fusion.

@altman I dunno if you were alluding to Ringo influencing more people to play drums than Peart, but it is correct that Ringo had. Mostly because they saw Ringo on TV, and the Beatles were huge when they arrived, even though what the played during that arrival into the US wasn’t anything groundbreaking that Little Richard hadn’t done better before.

Of course in America, people still want to call Elvis “the King of Rock and Roll”, when it was Little Richard who helped create rock music as it is today, just by the left hand on his piano. Even Chuck Berry’s rhythm still had a swing element to it, but Little Richard played it with “straight 8’s” like da-da-da-da da-da-da-da as opposed to da da-da da-da da-da.

Say that both Ringo & Peart did influenced in their own times if it can be said.

( Maybe not in volume but as new inspiring drummers)

But the thing is that Neal did it on some Prog music for so long which isn t mainstream music compared to the Beatles is surprising to say the least.

@altman And this goes back to what I was saying before when it came to influence: not many songwriters today are going through Rush’s catalog of music to help them inspire writing songs, but the Beatles are still influencing songwriters today, even Prince was influenced by both Little Richard and the Beatles, and YouTube has a lot of young drummers discovering Ringo - especially during the Beatles psychedelic era, where Ringo shined - and Ringo was also a great songwriter on his own, having a few top ten hits of his own.

Lol, you bet mate !

Rush wasn’t a prog band when they first started, they were know as more a Zep type of band lol. Plus, prog is a very odd category to slot that style of music in. Was it English? American? Jazz? Classical? Avant-Garde? Theater? Or performance?

Guess that they went along as they got more technical & musical as it came along.