Sad news: RIP Neil Peart;

lol, you bet @drummer.

Or some fusion from the Yellowjackets.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

I watched that this morning. It’s amazing the friendship those three guys had.

1 Like

Yes sir, you rarely see that in the music business.

1 Like

It also shows the respect everyone had for Neil Peart to respect his wishes and not discuss his illness to the media and public.

1 Like

Even rarer !

1 Like

It depends if it’s predicated on business, or the music.

1 Like

Now it seems more to do with business than with the music side as a whole.

Mind that I don t speak about Rush here on that matter.

It’s been that way ever since music and theater was staged. Way before they could both be recorded in both wax and celluloid.

Remember, John Rutsey is the original drummer in Rush. Rush back in their debut album was marketed as sort of a Canadian version of Led Zeppelin. Rush up until 2112 was pure anthem rock. 2112 was a sort of rock opera inspired by the writings of Ayn Rand. What Peart really influenced within Rush wasn’t all due to his drumming, but the entire concept of Rush due to his lyrics. An entire B side of a record album inspired by Ayn Rand is a long way from grabbing an ice cold beer that leads into an extended guitar solo section. Canada wasn’t short on power rock trios either, I mean they gave us Triumph, whose drummer had a huge drumkit as well. If Rush had not had Peart’s lyrical imagery - I mean who writes “to stand within the Pleasure Dome, decreed by Kubla Khan” and gets away with that without a roundhouse drum fill?

Only Rush with Peart could, because with Rutsey, it wouldn’t sell beans.

1 Like

Rush were solid with Rutsey, but they never would have reached the lofty heights of Prog without The Professor.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Legends of Drumming

A post was merged into an existing topic: Legends of Drumming

Yep knew that about Peart s part s history with Rush but not everyone, good call in there @drummer . Looks like you re a well versed music guy in there.

Love Triumph also, great band, they had/have their studio as well which is great.

1 Like

Creem magazine was my bible for rock journalism, as Down Beat was for jazz. Rolling Stone - I lined my pet rat’s cage with that lulz.

1 Like

lol, yep remember my years wasting a fortune buying magazines of any sort !

1 Like

An old issue of Modern Drummer I bought back in 1984. The funny thing is the second pic, featuring an up and coming drummer:

Edit: is someone could rotate that second one, that would be cool.

2 Likes

Wow, thx @drummer . 2nd pic s upside down, wonder if it s the site or else.

Some ,memories !

It’s me and my iPhone, it’s almost dead, maybe someone can fix it or I will fix it later.

1 Like

Hey cool, that s ok mate.