Rofi question

Hi!
Since a few days I have been very interested in Rofi.
There are things I don’t understand (hopefully I will later…)
One thing is the script I found in ~/.local/rofi_run
How does that fit together with /usr/bin/rofi ?

Is this a totally different Rofi? GitHub - adi1090x/rofi: A large collection of Rofi based custom Menu, Applets, Launchers & Powermenus.
With applets etc.
Can I combine that with what I have or do I break things if I do?

/** Basic config file **/

configuration {
/*  modi: "window,run,ssh,keys,combi,calc";*/
/*	width: 50;*/
/*	lines: 15;*/
/*	columns: 1;*/
/*	font: "hack 10";*/
/*	terminal: "rofi-sensible-terminal";*/
/*	ssh-client: "ssh";*/
/*	ssh-command: "{terminal} -e {ssh-client} {host} [-p {port}]";*/
/*	run-command: "{cmd}";*/
/*	run-list-command: "";*/
/*	run-shell-command: "{terminal} -e {cmd}";*/
/*      show-icons:         true;*/
/*      icon-theme:         "Pop";*/
}
@import "/usr/share/rofi/themes/archlabs-shadow.rasi"

I want to show icons but I can only make icons show from command line and only once.

womp

@womp Have you studied any of these helpful websites?

1. Home · davatorium/rofi Wiki · GitHub
  2. Rofi - ArchWiki
  3. Linux launcher: ROFI. Rofi is a full features Linux textual… | by Rphl-Mstl | Tech notes and Geek stuff | Medium

Hopefully they will provide you with the basics. Because rofi is a child of dmenu, you may wish to read up on dmenu as well.

1 Like

Absolutely!
I will start with dmenu!!
Thank you for wise advice!!

womp

@womp I use rofi and find it most helpful. I’m happy to share my templates with you when you are ready. I am even happy to discuss things via SKype if that would help. Just let me know.

.Xresources has some rofi config info too.

/usr/bin/rofi is the binary.
~/.local/bin/rofi_run is a script @natemaia wrote that calls rofi and creates different menus. For example:

rofi_run -l

brings up a menu to logout and a couple other options. The various options for rofi_run can be used in key bindings, jgmenu etc …

the rofi_run script is pretty well annotated; just read through it and you can an idea of the various ways to use rofi.

2 Likes

That would be great! How about the week end?

womp

My busy covid schedule allows great flexibilty. I am in Mountain time (so I think I’m probably 9 hours behind you). We are in summer time. My skype user name is ‘rabideau’. Here’s my email: genealogy@many-roads.com contact me via email and we can set things up.

1 Like

@SqdnGunny: Yes that I saw! I did delete that because Arch-wiki said it’s old.

@PackRat: I just glanced at it but I will look into rofi_run! I see Rofi as quite powerful! Like one “center piece” of a system!

Thank you guys!!

womp

I will get in touch!!

womp

The man page for rofi is really good. There are some commands to generate a basic rofi configuration.

1 Like

I am beginning to understand a bit!
Have made a couple of key-binding in rc.xml from rofi_run script. Works!
(just scratched the surface)

womp

1 Like

When you want to see rofi commands/ scripts/ etc. Simply ask. I’m pretty certain folks here are happy to provide materials for you to play around with. tweak, etc. As @PackRat noted, the rofi site and man page are good. Rofi builds from dmenu and adds functionality. Be certain you figure out how-to use rofi-theme-selector and things should progress quite nicely. Good luck @womp

1 Like

@manyroads: Yes you are right! I have been fiddling since early morning and have managed to bind different modis to keys. Found a nice theme in “archlabs shadow”. You might say that I have gotten started!
I will probably have more questions but at none at the moment.

Thanks so much!!

womp