Protonvpn - DNS Leaks

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions discovered?

The first pic is without a protonvpn connection. The next three are after successfully connecting.

protonvpn dns leaks support

they provide some information and support.

2 Likes

Make sure ipv6 is off.

2 Likes

Should of asked if you were using Firefox as well, if so check these settings.

Settings → General → Network settings → and make sure ‘Enable DNS over HTTPS’ is NOT check marked.

Then close Firefox and restart.

2 Likes

Not sure I understand the issue

Here’s what I know: I do not understand the issue.

OK! I had that perfect! I’m happy.

Reported to them. Exchanged several emails. They don’t know, just fishing - maybe this maybe that try this whatever.

Disabled ipv6 and will try again.

Not using Firefox. I use Vivaldi (chrome based).

Disabled ipv6. dnsleaktest.com still shows leaking.

Don’t understand what you’re worried about?

1 Like

That’s my real IP address leaking through, even when connect to the internet via VPN.

I signed up for a trial with ivpn.net and I’m getting the same kinds of leak as with protonvpn. Ergo it seems that there is something amiss with my own settings. But what?
I put in a service request with both ivpn and proton, so we’ll see what comes back.

Did you restart your network connection after making this change?

1 Like

What’s the output of:

https://ipleak.net/
1 Like

I did restart the computer. FFS this forum now wont upload an image. The output you requested shows me connected to a ivpn.net server in Montreal and leaks to my real IP address.

Does it show ipv6 unreachable?

1 Like

Yes. After some further digging on the ivpn.net site, it appears that the problem may be with Network Manager. Since I the only connecting from my home I could try disabling that.

I disabled Network Manager and enabled dhcpcd. All seems to be working correctly. No leaks show in any of the tests I have run:

dnsleaks.com
ipleaks.net

1 Like