I recently got a 6800xt from eBay as prices in Germany are calming down, and now have a Problem:
I previously used Manjaro-i3 and after plugging the card in and selecting proper drivers ran into Manjaro getting stuck on the graphical console and showing
[drm:retrieve_link_cap [amdgpu]] *ERROR* retrieve_link_cap: Read dpcd data failed..
I was still able to get into a tty and start lightdm from there(previously failed 5 times during the same boot) but it got annoying and i couldn’t run tuxclocker or read fan speeds any more.
After a while i decided to try other distros and under mint i was able to use the drivers that AMD host for this model and get everything working properly (though with other problems related to i3)
Finally i decided to try archlabs as a last resort today and initially got everything working - only after installing steam i got the same error again and after narrowing it down i noticed it was triggered by installing lib32-amdvlk as a dependency. All other packages that include 32-bit vulkan drivers seem to have the same problem and in the end i narrowed it down (at least i think so) to lib32-llvm-libs.
Really hope you guys know what might be happening here as this is pretty much my last resort outside of turning to nvidia (which i don’t have the money for).
Hoping for responses, Hardware-Probe and system journal will be attached after i replicate a clean run with the error.
Steps to reproduce:
- have a 6800xt (maybe other cards as well, maybe it’s just me - not big enough of a sample size to tell yet)
- do a fresh install of Archlabs with i3-gaps (possibly other WMs - haven’t tried)
- sudo pacman -S steam
- have lightdm crash