Problems with keymap MacBookPro 9,2

When someting goes wrong with the keymap/keyboard/keys I often have difficulties fixing it!
Just installed the 21-05-03-ISO and it worked fast and well.
I have been configuring for a few hours and suddenly noticed that can not write the “a:t” sign (as in the middle of an e-mail-adress).

localectl status
   System Locale: LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: se
      X11 Layout: se

setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc104
layout:     se
variant:    mac
options:    grp:alt_shift_toggle,compose:ralt
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+se(mac)+inet(evdev)+group(alt_shift_toggle)+compose(ralt)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+se(mac)+inet(evdev)+group(alt_shift_toggle)+compose(ralt)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"	};
};

I can´t see what´s wrong.

I hope someone else can!

womp

Weren’t you just having issues which we solved? Why re-install a perfectly good system after spending so much time and effort setting it up?

3 Likes

Well, it never got perfectly good.
One example is that I am dependent on Wine and for some reason I never got rid of the “kernel32” error. I tried to get rid of “everything Wine” and reinstall Wine severall times.
After that I reinstalled AL severall times but got error there too. AL-21-05 worked but for some reason there was no baph and no “a:t”.

womp

Hi again!

I did a reinstall again (redownloaded first) and this time I have baph and from the beginning I had @ too. (I am writing this from another laptop!) I am planning to use Openbox and i3-gaps and using the same key-bindings so I installed sxhkd. After I configured .xprofile and sxhkd (and just started to config i3-gaps) I could not write @ anymore!
I have been looking through the sxhkd config file and searched for this problem or similar but this problem must be very rare indeed!
Now I get ;2 if I press @ (on my mbp9,2).

Should I start a new topic for this?

womp

1 Like

Have found another reason to re-install. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Same problem? Or another?

womp

lol, I used to be like that years ago !

I mean, any reasons were goos to reinstall something, now it s when I screwed up big time & don t want to mess around fixing it.

I was kidding.

:grin:

Well this time I do not want to reinstall.
First I am going to try to start system without sxhkd-config and prevent everything from calling sxhkd to see what happens!

womp

Yeah! Can you believe it! I solved it!!
Problem was .xprofile!
One little dot in the wrong place and I finally saw it.

Matter is solved!!

Thanks for sharing this moment with me!!

womp

2 Likes

Glad that it s fixed @womp

1 Like

Thanks man!!

womp

1 Like

Yahoo!

I suggest that you make a copy of all your config files. Next time, if you do a new install again :grinning:, you don’t have to dig little by little.

Absolutely! But this was the first i3-gap install ever!

womp

I’ve done that many times lulz, but after I break a few other things. There are times when I set everything up, seems perfect, but I change my mind, and it’s just a matter of minutes to do a clean install. I don’t have any mission critical stuff, Linux is tasked on older computers, any new ones will have a setup that won’t be changed often, and I’ve settled into more default AL than do anything much different to it.

I did clean reinstalls of Windows often, I don’'t save any work on the system drive, and I only had to reinstall OS X like three times, even after I sliced it up for tri-boot.

1 Like