Problem after saturdays update

I updated my computers Saturday night (nightowl) and my Asus laptop with hybrid gpus (nvidia/intel optimus-manager) will not boot into graphical interface after that. Lightdm starts and stops, starts and stops and so on and finally stops. I can get to tty but just for a few seconds and then I get thrown back. After a few reboots I could get to tty and disable lightdm. I then enabled lxdm but got into worse problems! Now lxdm starts and stops (and so on) but also samba will not start.
I am not so familiar with hybrid gpus so I wonder if anyone has a similar experience?

womp

Now itś gotten worse! Shows acpi errors during boot and fan goes up to full speed. It sounds dangerously near a hardware failure so now I have no idea what to do!?

I also found out something else that could be related. I have taken the Quest of installing Archlabs on a Mac-mini 4,1 (mid-2010) with and older nvidia card (620M I think). I am doing this for a friend but the new iso hangs on boot for 5 minutes and then I am able to install but on reboot I can not reach graphical target. 5-10 seconds later system hangs and I can only turn it off! I have tried different measures like updating the installer/not updating the installer. After 4 attempts I thought I should try another system so I tried Endeavour OS and got the same result.

My Dell intel laptop has no problem at all with very similar setup (Archlabs-openbox) so my guess it has to do with nvidia.
Maybe the best thing to do is to wait?

womp

Maybe put results from this command, might help somehow;

inxi -G

Hi again!
Now I can chroot!
Can’t get to graphical display. Lightdm starts and stops …and stops. I can get to tty now that’s the only change after I updated system inxi -G
dev1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
dev2: Nvidia GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: N/A
dev3: IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam type:USB driver:uvcvideo
Display server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia tty 240x67

I have been trying to switch to intel gpu and reboot but has no effect.

womp

Well , can t help you real quick with this one @womp

Bump for a great guy.

No problem friend!!

womp

Wonder if it has to do with startx, also is that nvidia that meeses things up again.

I don t have nvidia on my installs. Can t test.

Probably nvidia problem!
I noticed that nvidia module is not loaded during boot but I can load it manually.
Lightdm will not start. Lxdm will start but still no gui!?
I will try and troubleshoot lightdm and see where that goes.

womp

1 Like

We ll see what it does.

1 Like

I did not think that following lightdm.service not starting should give anything. But it did and that was a fluke! I read in Arch-wiki that lightdm sometimes tries to load before graphical environment so I did a small edit i lightdm.conf to check for graphical=true and that seems to have solved the problem!!

My time to get lucky?

womp

1 Like

Glad that you fixed it @womp

Yeah!! Me too!
Thanks for support!!
Have nicest one possible during these dark times!!

womp

1 Like

No problem @womp

1 Like

I don’t know if you already rebooted your machine since your fix, If the machine isn’t booting, you can try reinstall the Nvidia driver and run sudo mkinitcpio -p linux before rebooting.

I had a similar experience last week and the Nvidia driver booted automatically again.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for interest. I have tested a few reboots and it boot fine now.
I did reinstall nvidia driver just as you suggested!

womp

1 Like

Good tip @Bryanpwo

1 Like