Power management on new install

Just done a fresh install of openbox with the latest ISO without any issues from the installer.
Power management icon is missing from the taskbar, just a circle with a line in the center but opens without issue.
Noticed this on my older install of Archlabs with openbox about 2 or 3 weeks a go that the icon for power management failed to display after an update, not sure what was updated at that time.

2 Likes

Which icon set do you use?

xfce4-power-manager? I’m seeing the icon with the ArchLabs-Dark icons.

1 Like

Default with the new install which is ArchLabs-Dark icons and with the old install I tried them all but default is gnome.

2 Likes

You will need to install the xfce4-power-manager as mentioned by @PackRat. I think we should add this one to the package list in the installer.

1 Like

xfce4-power-manager was installed at installation but no icon for the task bar. Seems it went blank about 3 or 4 weeks back.

1 Like

Wonder if it was after an update, happened to me several times, hate it when it happens.

1 Like

Happened after an update like I said 3 or 4 weeks back, surprised to see it on a new install yesterday.

1 Like

Ok, wonder why it does that after updates, it s getting like windows now, it s been going on for a little bit back I mean.

Never happened to my Arch install with openbox, jmenu and tint2.

1 Like

Yep, OpenBox & Tint2 are my favs.

I might have screwed up some times but some times it s the updatyes s dependencies that are the issues also.

1 Like

Would have to check and see what was updated. I suspect the base icon package was updated and breaks a symlink for the ArchLabs-Dark theme.

@sammiev - did you say it works if you switch to one of the Papirus icon themes?

@sammiev - do you run openbox proper or do you use openbox as the window manager in xfce4?

1 Like

Thx, not one in perticular but for a little while.

Tried all the default icon themes including papirus and the same output, blank icon.
Xfce4 is not installed but some of their software is.

This is likely.

1 Like

BunsenLabs is having the same issue - since last year.
Appears xcfe4 has changed the name for the icon (layman terms) so the links get broken.

2 Likes

$xfce4-power-manager-settings

In “Appearance”, check “System tray icon”. Disable/Enable it to see if it make difference.

1 Like

Tried that before posting this thread thinking it may work.

1 Like

So it’s enabled or disabled? I haven’t tried the new iso yet, not clear it uses xfce4-power-manager or cbatticon. Did you try to re-install the icon pack? Specifically, it’s

$sudo pacman -S hicolor-icon-theme

It’s enabled, was enabled but I disabled/enabled a few times.
Re-installed some of the icon pack and added a few with no luck.
Just tried the hicolor-icon-theme but still the same after a restart.

1 Like

I had something of the opposite on my AL installs when I had both Openbox and XFCE on it. I would logout of XFCE, login into Openbox, then log back into XFCE, and had two power manager icons and network manager icons. That would only happen when I logged into each desktop that way though.

1 Like

I even tried installing XFCE to see if it would make a difference.
I guess two is better than one. :joy:

2 Likes