Pop are creating a new Gnome based DE, Cosmic

2 Likes

to bad pop is based on ubuntu

2 Likes

Yeah but as we know most DE’s are widely available so no doubt this will be available on Arch.

5 Likes

This looks very promising, will surely give this one a go.

If you like slow software managers there really is nothing like Ubuntu’s. :wink:

3 Likes

When I really ponder things, I think the thing I like ‘best’ about the Ubuntu approach is their reliance on Snaps, Flatpak and appimages. I like the notion of “create it once”, screw it up many times. I didn’t say that, did I?

Edit: It’s sort of like when I was developing engineering standards, we used to say that “standards” were sub-optimized by committees to work equally poorly in all environments.

1 Like

I tried Cosmic on bare metal over the w’end. It’s a work in progress & they’re obviously taking it in the direction they feel their core user base appreciates. I like their effort & the tiling extension.

If you like vanilla, Arch G40 or Fedora 34 are pretty darn good already. Smokin’ performance for a DE/Shell.

1 Like

I tried Fedora 34 and liked the new Gnome release. Also noticed if extensions are enabled, it slows down quite a bit.

1 Like

Right, that could be. I noticed that Fedora 34 doesn’t ship with any extensions OOTB.

Fedora has stock gnome. At least one thing they have done right.

Absolutely.

I tried Fedora for the first time recently. OOTB it works, it’s a minimal Btrfs install & includes SELinux.

I, also, tried Gnome40 (on openSUSE and Fedora)… was not impressed.

1 Like

I quite like Gnome 40, to play with. I couldn’t use it every day though. I have become to reliant on a tiling wm.

2 Likes

That’s right. The new gnome has touchscreen as the target from beginning.

2 Likes

Absolutely, a tiling wm makes workflow sense … especially on a monitor with plenty of real estate. How nice that would be on a 26" or 32" display.

When you’re using laptops in the neighborhood of 13-15.6", tiling can get so small that it’s benefit may be less noticable. I find the metakey - type - enter to navigate a little quicker for my use.

I tried Pop tiling & i3 recently on a 14" and there wasn’t enough vertical or horizontal space with anymore than a primary and two secondary tiles.

At least, that’s my own experience.

Or in my case a 43" :smiley:

1 Like

Gee, looks like a tv !

1 Like

A tiling supercenter!

Pretty much mate. I struggle with a “normal” sized monitor these days if I’m not using my own.

2 Likes

21.04 beta is out. In case you wanted to taste the new COSMIC DE.