Polybar on AL-bitbucket still valid?

Hi.
I am now on bspwm and trying to set up polybar from AL-bitbucket.
I am using the launch-script from polybar-github.
It will not start and whatever I change in launch-script or config-file I get this in terminal

Parsing config file: /home/womp/.config/polybar/config
error: Failed to open config file /root/.config/polybar/master.conf: Permission denied

I can´t figure out why polybar is looking for master.conf in root/.config?
I have a working config (with launch-script from polybar-github) but I wanted to work with AL-polybar!
Is polybar on AL-bitbuchet still valid? (also got messages in terminal that some rows in config was deprecated)

womp

You probably have a line like:

include-file = /root/.config/polybar/master.conf

in your ~/.config/polybar/config file somewhere. Usually at the beginning. Do you have a ~/.config/polybar/master.conf file?

1 Like

Yes i guessed that master.conf should go in ~/.config/polybar/

womp

I have been looking through all config files now and found rows refering to /root. I changed those and now I got it started with launch.sh script!
It is looking awful at the moment though! I will have to look through configs again! I probably miss some significant font(s).

womp

1 Like

After installing all missing fonts it still doesn´t look right!

2021-05-22_19-21

womp

What font family are you using? It may not have icons you’re looking for. Check the following fonts. They’re popular fonts for status bar icons.

Yes. I have been looking through them all and they are all installed. I think it is the Material icons not loading. I have tried Material-icons, material-icons, Material icons, material_icons and so on. Can´t get them to load.

womp

I think it’s “Material Design Icons” I have:

font-4 = "Mononoki Nerd Font:size=18:regular:antialias=true:hintstyle=slight;2"
font-5 = "Material Design Icons:size=14:regular:antialias=true:hintstyle=slight;2"

and never have an issue with the icons showing. I get the mononoki nerd font from this site.

2 Likes

How do I install? Git clone to ~/.local/share/fonts or icons?

womp

put in $HOME/.fonts, reboot or run,

$fc-cache -fv
1 Like

Hell of a problem!!
I checked arch-wiki about fonts and ~/.fonts are deprecated. It is supposed to be ~/.local/share/fonts.
I dumped all fonts there and did a reboot but after logging in to bspwm everything froze except the pointer. I figured it had to do with the fonts so I had to remove the fonts. (with help of an usb-system.) Now I am back and it was all the fonts that froze the system!
Back on the webpage there are no fonts with the name of mononoki but I found it on another git-page. After installation of mononki nerd font and setting a “space” in master.conf my polybar is in the same state.

womp

I went back to my own (simple) polybar config. AL-polybar on bitbucket is probably dated (2019). Could not get it to work properly.

womp

Works fine on my desktop.

1 Like

Nice!
I have tried all day! For me it looks chinese!

womp