Outside the Arch

Hi Archlabers!

Everybody I talk to say that Arch (and derivs) are not for “daily work in a professional environment”.
I was getting tired of hearing that so I am (during my holiday) trying to compare som distros to see if they are more stable.

I have done som testing on Ubuntu 20.04 and Pop OS 20.04.
Pop OS is quicker in most situations so I did some more testing with Pop.
On Archlabs some important apps (for me) are nitroshare, wine, virtualbox/qemu, wireguard (and sheepshaver for mac os classic nostalgia). Emulation is very important for me for work (music-score-arrangements and recording etc)
First dissapointment was nitroshare! Had to build and install manually and could not get to work properly. Wine. I tried both “distro-wine” and winehq. I could not get anyone of them to work in Pop OS!
Wireguard. Pop Os is using system-boot and when installing wireguard in Pop it tries to drag in grub. I followed the instructions. Pop did not crash or anything but wireguard will not install without grub (strange!) I wasn’t able to install grub in Pop.

Even though Pop Os is quick and seems to be rather stable it doesnt work for my needs!
I also found other odd things in Pop! If you are using apt to install things and then want to search/look in Pop OS “appstore” you can see that apps installed with apt are not marked as installed in “appstore”! Many rather small things like that I found and after a while I got frustrated!
What do you think guys? Do you use Archlabs for work or studies? Do you use another distro for work or university?

womp

1 Like

I use both arch & debian. 99% of any Desktop (which is probably your interface) will be the same on either OS. The biggest difference for me is whether I need current software or if older stuff will do. I you need stable software (like my wife) then I personally recommend MX Linux Debian or LinuxMint (both are exceedingly well designed/ developed). I, also would recommend a Desktop like xfce4 (traditional). If you need more leading edge software then nothing beats Arch derivatives (I recommend two, again personl preference, ArchLabs & manjaro).

As for working with University tasks… what kind of unique & special things do you need? Aside from a Word Processor, email & browser?

2 Likes

Arch is gonna be the best and generally offer more of the software you want. Update frequently and you won’t have many issues. Debian for servers though.

2 Likes

Great to hear from you!
After some thinking and reading what you guys wrote I am going to remove PopOs!
I am going to go with I Arch (Archlabs!)
I am an old mac-fan (mac-classic from beginning of the 90-ties saved my life!)
Since 99 I was forced to use windows for over 15 years! The last 3-4 years I have used Arch even att work with vbox and wine and that will continue!

Thanks for feedback!!

womp

What’s their reasoning?

1 Like

I use Arch for work with git and it is stable.
I like the rolling release and the stability.
For server, it is more Debian, CentOS.

1 Like

“Everybody” say that Linux is for “amateurs” and a rolling distro is not stable enough.
I have actually used Archlabs for the last 2 years at work (most of the time). I got in trouble 2 times when recording pupils (but that could have easily happen with Windows too). But I got a lot of crap those times and that got me uncertain. I am the only one using Linux in my district. (Linux is very small “deal” here in Sweden.)
I have now reinstalled Archlabs on my work-computer (from june-beta-iso, works great!) and am setting it up! I have realized that I need tiling so I am going to look into that. Writing arrangements without tiling is too messy and takes a lot of time (for moving windows arround!).

womp

Bet is that they never tried it properly if ever

Well, i use Arch coz it gives me the autonomy “to install only stuff that i really want” and need on my system, also i don’t like people making choices for me on regards to my OS, unless i truly agree with their view of how a system should be and function. A minimal Debian install can also be great, if we don’t care in having outdated apps and if stability is paramount.

Arch has been “stable enough” for my work and academic studies.

I would say Linux is for people who cares about “choice”, a fair degree of autonomy regarding their own personal OS and don’t bother to pay the necessary price for the privilege of owning their own system.

3 Likes

Well here in Sweden the “freedoom of choice” is a full time job. But the only choice we have is to choose who is going to take our money! Most people are so “full of this” that they can’t manage to think about anything else.

womp

Well @womp , if they want to make Gates richer it s their choice, not mine I must say !

It s my choice.

2 Likes

Somehow @womp, i think you’ve just explained the difference between Debian and Arch in one single sentence :sunglasses:

Debian: Safety and stability above all, even if t means someone making some choices for you.

Arch: You are on your own, and is up to you to do whatever you want with your system. It’s “your” own responsibility if something breaks.

The lesson i take from this is:
“Either in life or even in an apparently simple thing like an OS to choose, if we decide to go against the stream of convention or the comfort of tradition, we must accept the price which comes with our choice.”

Everything comes with a cost, even when what we want is some degree of stability.
On regard to your situation in Sweden, at least my friend, you’re not afraid of a robbery or even getting shot every time you go outside the streets, as we do down here in Brazil. :sweat_smile:

Ps: I also live and experience the “safety” of Germany’s socio-democratic lands with it’s well known ideologies of equality and the sky high taxes, but if i had to choose between both (Germany vs Brazil), i would have to think very carefully and pick the one which for me would suck less in the long run. :sunglasses:

1 Like

FWIW… I was just on a Debian Forum where they were complaining about FF74 being unstable. On my arch machine I have FF78 and it runs just fine.

Things go ‘bump’ almost anywhere/ everywhere. Such is life. If someone relies on others to provide their assurances and do not know how to fix things for themself the day will come when they will be left ‘hanging’.

Opps… that was probably a political statement. :open_mouth: Sorry. No one heard that did they??? :innocent:

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with you @manyroads, this is a very well putted unpolitical/practical example :sunglasses:

lol, @manyroads , I never listen, never see & never read !

So no worries !

1 Like

Well, the part about being for amateurs is total bullshit.

Not being stable enough has some merit. NASA went with Debian Stable for the obvious reason. The other conditions you need to consider for using Linux in a production environment are your QA/QC requirements and contractual obligations (the two are usually related). I’ve had contracts that specified what version of software and document format were to be used, and many clients consider open source software to be beta and therefore not allowed. It’s as much a legal argument as a technical argument.

If you’re just composing music for yourself and clients go with what works for you; otherwise check with your boss about the contract and QA/QC beforehand.

4 Likes

Well Sweden is not like Debian. Sweden is just like Windows!! A well planed bussiness-model built to suck, for profit.

Brazil. I like some of the music and brazilian soccer of course. Have played with wonderful brazilian musians!
How’s the Lordship the dictator doing?

womp

1 Like

I agree! Its’ bullcrap!
This kind of ignorance cost a lot of money!! A lot of tax-money!

My boss lacks a lot of knowledge so I do what I want there!

womp

Nice to ask man, unfortunately that clown still propagating madness all over the place.

Really cool to know that you’ve played with some Brazilian musicians, there’s a lot of talent around.

2 Likes

I read that his Lordship was sick with corona!? Is that true?

I have played with 3 musicians from Brazil. Good guys!!

womp

2 Likes