Openvpn thru networkmanager

Hello!

The weather here in south Sweden is very very hot! Between 30-40 C every day since the beginning of May and my lawn is now a desert.

In Archlabs i used to set openvpn to automatically connect upon boot no networkmanager involved but on a laptop that is not ideal. I want to use networkmanager instead but how to do that with nm-tui?
Is it possible to use an extra tray and stick nm-applet there?
Any suggestions and ideas?

womp

I just set this up with nm-connection-editor and networkmanager-openvpn

Afterwards, I used the editor to import my connection, and then it works just fine with the tui on my end

I also installed networkmanager-vpnc but I don’t know if this is actually required. YMMV

Thanks! I will try that.

womp

It simply shows up in TUI afterwards from polybar afterwards, underneath wifi connections section.
I hope it works, as those seemed to be all that I needed for steps. I set it up after reading a bit from Arch wiki and asking in Newbie Corner here.

I am in eager anticipation of your success :slight_smile:

Hi again!
That worked like a charm on first try!
Thank you so much!

womp

1 Like

Great… but wait there’s more. I had an issue with IPv6 Leaking… you may want to test at ipleak.net

There are a couple ways to avoid this according to the Arch Wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv6#Disable_functionality

I recommend trying these if so. I dunno if your VPN provides IPv6 functionality.

I personally edited specific connections IPv6 setup to link-local, but that is a spot job, not a real fix if that’s the case. That was for me.

1 Like

Yeah, I couldn’t find any solutions for IPv6 issue except to go to that wiki for it and just disable it. Then enable it if you want to. But as I stated earlier, IPv6 doesn’t really do anything other than provide more IP addresses. A lot of IP providers haven’t even enabled IPv6 to their customers because their isn’t any real advantage in it. @Xase your work around may be the only solution.

1 Like

Yes, but if it doesn’t change via VPN if the VPN doesn’t support it, then essentially you’re still potentially sending unencrypted data right? Wouldn’t it also basically “telegraph” your location to people who really wanted it ?

I figured it was relevant to mention nonetheless, because a leak is a leak, and a leak is no good for security.

2 Likes

In 100% agreement @Xase which may be prudent to disable IPv6. You may have to disable it from your router, just a thought.

1 Like

Yes absolutely! Disable IPv6 in router! I think that is the default value in most routers.

I never knew that it could be this easy to configure vpn! It´s working great here

womp

1 Like

Yes it is very easy to set up VPN using openVPN. Most VPN services works well with openVPN especially if you have set up your IP tables, if needed.

1 Like