Openbox: winner of Window Manager of 2020 on linuxquestions.org

Window Manager of the Year - Openbox (23.03%)

2 Likes

Good thing I must say !

Thx for sharing

They have to pry Openbox from my cold drunken hands lulz

1 Like

No single Wayland WM even mentioned. I wonder if they were included in the poll.

Server distro of the year “Slackware”?

Most ppl on linuxquestions.org are slack users.

Wayland what’s that? :wink:

1 Like

That makes me question a lot of these results…

Slack is an honest distro but not really sure if Slackers really convey the state of the Linuxarias.

Also openbox has been abandoned for years and while I think it’s great I’m starting to wonder if someone is gonna pick up that pennie and polish it again. On the other hand FVWM had been getting a lot of love for years now.

Not only that but GTK2 was declared EOL at the end of last year and X itself has been dropped by Red Hat:

Slackers like to live in the past, that’s their thing.

2 Likes

I think slack could actually be a big contender if they would forsake sys5init and implement a good ports system like raven or something.

Also do some checksuming on binaries.

1 Like

Each year, linuxquestions.org polls its users and pick the winners which got the most votes.

Which one is a better distro, init system or DE/WM? Hard to say, to me it’s just personal preference. Some ppl may like a stylish bar on their WM, some ppl may run dk/bspwm without a bar at all. :smile:

1 Like

No such luck -

Mon Feb 15 19:23:44 UTC 2021
Here we go again… upgraded to glibc-2.33 and one last mass rebuild for
Slackware 15.0. The only packages upgraded in this batch are glibc and the
kernels - everything else is just a rebuild against the new glibc. Not
rebuilt in this batch: devs (best to just leave this alone), glibc-zoneinfo,
kernel-firmware, rust, linux-faqs, linux-howtos, aspell-en, mozilla-firefox,
mozilla-thunderbird, and seamonkey. There’s a new Rust compiler but Firefox
and Thunderbird will need to be patched to use it, so we’ll hold off on
those until they’re ready for the new Rust either with patches or new
upstream releases. Until we have that and a few more scheduled upgrades I’m
not quite ready to call this beta yet, but you can call it 15.0-alpha1. :slight_smile:
Cheers!

a/sysvinit-2.98-x86_64-3.txz: Rebuilt.
a/sysvinit-functions-8.53-x86_64-5.txz: Rebuilt.
a/sysvinit-scripts-2.1-noarch-39.txz: Rebuilt.

They were thinking about going OpenRC, but I think that was just before Patrick and his daughter had the serious medical issues.

1 Like

Most won with a plurality (is there even a competitor for Gimp?) so there is probably a wide selection in those categories.

Yes, I remember I was following him at that time. He’s seriously ill but refused to see a doctor. He thought he could treat himself. He almost died before his girlfriend(wife?) forced him into a hospital and saved him eventually. Some guys (Jobs is another one) are genius but sometimes they just don’t have trust in other people.

My devuan system also runs SysV init. It’s a bit old and slow to boot. It doesn’t really bother me since I only boot my system when needed. May switch to runit though.

What I like about it is that it works, it’s highly configurable, it’s simple to configure, and for it to be abandoned yet still used in many configs, decor, customization that is still cutting edge is a testament to the tech. I like it as a comfortable pair of shoes that I can polish myself, or my old K. Zildjian ride cymbal I can use in any situation because it’s expressive and has all the colors.

1 Like

Lol sure…

1 Like

Abandoned. But what is a satisfying alternative to it?

It is hard to find something that got the “it” in it.

1 Like

Michael Aldridge (Void developer) had an awesome blog about “abandoned” open source software and the life cycle of software projects in general. I wish I had bookmarked it. I’ll try and find it.

1 Like

@PackRat Is that this page? (but i can`t find anything about abandoned oss.)

https://www.michaelwashere.net/

Yes, that’s his page. It looks like he may have archived some older posts.

1 Like