Openbox or Polybar issue: Taskbar doesn't start up

After startup, my taskbar at the top is missing. I presume this is Polybar? Then, when I go into Preference and hover over Compositor, I get the following error:

openboxError

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you do a clean install and then copy over some older configuration files?

Post your ~/.config/openbox/autostart file; the panel may be polybar or tint2. You can try starting them from a terminal and post any error messages.

Nope, no clean install just updates. Thanks, I will try that.

This is it:
# compton
al-compositor --start &

#$HOME/.config/setup &
# enable numlock, commented out for laptop users
# numlockx &

# restore wallpaper
nitrogen --restore &

# start panel
sleep 1; polybar --config=/home/liveuser/.config/polybar/config openbox-bar &

# system tray
sleep 1; trayer --edge bottom --align left --widthtype request --SetDockType false --expand true &

# Openbox autostart
ob-autostart -d &

# PolicyKit authentication
lxpolkit &

# Required for xfce settings to work
xfsettingsd &

# Side shortcuts for file managers
xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update &

$HOME/.config/keypack &
# al-hello

When I try to run the polybar line in the terminal, I get this error:

polybar: error while loading shared libraries: libjsoncpp.so.21: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[1] + 18257 exit 127 polybar --config=/home/liveuser/.config/polybar/config openbox-bar

Probably a good place to start?

Yes, I believe there is an entire thread about that error. Just search for that libjsoncpp. file name.

I think al-compositor is deprecated, just change:

al-compositor --start &

to

compton &

I’m not sure how Arch handled it, but compton may have been replaced by picom. You can try compton and picom in a terminal (compton may be a symlink to picom now).

Sweet, thank you! I’ll have to try it later, but will get back to this.

The picom binary will also respond to the compton command so there should be no need to change anything.

Looks like it is deprecated. I tried to run compton from the command line, and got this:

06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 open_config_file_at WARN ] This compositor has been renamed to “picom”, the old config file paths is deprecated. Please replace the "compton"s in the path with “picom”
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option no-dock-shadow is deprecated, and will be removed. Please use the wintype option shadow of dock instead.
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option no-dnd-shadow is deprecated, and will be removed. Please use the wintype option shadow of dnd instead.
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option menu-opacity is deprecated, and will be removed.Please use the wintype option opacity of popup_menu and dropdown_menu instead.
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] vsync option will take a boolean from now on. “opengl” is interpreted as “true” for compatibility, but this will stop working soon
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] “clear-shadow” is removed as an option, and is always enabled now. Consider removing it from your config file
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 parse_config_libconfig ERROR ] “paint-on-overlay” has been removed as an option, and the feature is enabled whenever possible
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:40.032 main FATAL ERROR ] Failed to create new session.

1] + 34076 exit 1 compton

Then I tried to run picom, and got much the same:

picom &
[1] 34083
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 open_config_file_at WARN ] This compositor has been renamed to “picom”, the old config file paths is deprecated. Please replace the "compton"s in the path with “picom”
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option no-dock-shadow is deprecated, and will be removed. Please use the wintype option shadow of dock instead.
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option no-dnd-shadow is deprecated, and will be removed. Please use the wintype option shadow of dnd instead.
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option menu-opacity is deprecated, and will be removed.Please use the wintype option opacity of popup_menu and dropdown_menu instead.
WARN ] vsync option will take a boolean from now on. “opengl” is interpreted as “true” for compatibility, but this will stop working soon
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] “clear-shadow” is removed as an option, and is always enabled now. Consider removing it from your config file
root@oceania /home/prometheus # [ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 parse_config_libconfig ERROR ] “paint-on-overlay” has been removed as an option, and the feature is enabled whenever possible
[ 06/21/2020 07:58:51.835 main FATAL ERROR ] Failed to create new session.

[1] + 34083 exit 1 picom

Having fun here!

To create a symbolic link for the lipjsoncpp library is still a workaround that seems to at least allow polybar to start up.
From the forum topic, I tried this:

ln -s libjsoncpp.so.22 libjsoncpp.so.21

This solves the lipjsoncpp issue, but it breaks further on when trying to run polybar with:

polybar --config=/home/liveuser/.config/polybar/config openbox-bar &

This gives some warning about not being able to find config, like this:

error: Could not find config file: /home/liveuser/.config/polybar/config

I ran polybar without the config file specification to see what it does, as follows:

polybar open-box bar &

This made it complain mostly about unmatched characters, but it did start up, albeit a bit unstable. Hello, old friend!

I see that this is a known issue for Polybar, so I’m trying this advice next:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polybar#Troubleshooting

That is a *terrible* workaround and should *never* be used, especially in an Arch-based distribution.

The actual solution is to perform a full system upgrade:

pacman -Syu

And then also upgrade the polybar package, as per the pinned comment on the AUR package page:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/polybar/

Agreed, it’s just to get things starting up. But I can also see why it is a terrible solution, it doesn’t actually fix anything, it just duct tapes over a problem.

Thanks, I’ve done the system upgrade and I removed the polybar package to reinstall the whole thing. It seems that pacli is also going wonky over this, so working directly with pacman is better.

pacli was born wonky, pacman is *always* better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK that does solve the taskbar, after much anguish and manually fixing my polybar startup config. Most other things are now broken or no longer working as they have, but it’s because I messed up my config. Polybar does start up now as expected, thanks for the help!

1 Like