ArchLabs Linux

Openbox or KDE?

As I mentioned in a comment I posted earlier in this forum, I’m getting a new laptop soon, and I’m planning to use it as my daily driver for coding and I don’t want to DE hop on it. What woud you guys think is a superior DE/WM for a stable workflow, Archlabs’ Openbox(which I’ve been using until now) or KDE?
btw, I have no clue about if KDE is customized in AL by default, because there’s now scrot, so please let me know.

2 Likes

I m pretty much on OB since the last few years, been too long without XFCE, with a little stint on kde, wasn t my cup of tea but each our own I guess.

Guess that you ll need to suit kde to your tasts on AL. While you ask, also wonder if kde has the AL themes all done, which would be of a surprise.

Guess that you ll need to try it, anyways some of the guys always pimp their installs.

Personally I don’t think there is any ‘superior’ DE/WM other than what works best for you.

We don’t customise the Plasma desktop it is supplied to you as default :smiley:

On a laptop I find that i3wm works best for me as I don’t need to use the touchpad so much. I am not a fan of the touchpad. :smiley:

1 Like

KDE Plasma is great if you want a windows-esque feel with the defaults or you want to go to town with customisation and make it something different, you also need a somewhat modern cpu and some form of opengl acceleration for it to be a nice experience though.

Openbox is about as barebones as it gets for stacking WM while still having things like graphical config tools, you’ll also need to choose and setup everything else yourself (compositor, bar, power management, etc.) which can be a pro or a con depending on your view.

Personally, these days stacking WM aren’t my cup of tea. Have you considered giving a tiling wm a try?

1 Like

Do you code in the terminal with emacs/vim or do you use a gui text editor?

If you code in the terminal, not really going to matter. Konsole is nice, but you can use sakura or xfce4-terminal etc … to get the same feature set without having to install KDE.

If you prefer a gui text editor, Kate is really nice. Check out the kate text editor; if it fits your workflow you can go with KDE. The KDE desktop is really nice, runs pretty smooth on newer hardware and there are plenty of themes available.

I like Openbox. After a while I actually know what I am doing. (quite a while!)

womp

1 Like