On the Topic of Driving and Awareness of What is around you!

A few months ago i bought myself a bicycle and tried to get back into it after a break of some 12 years. At first i was amazed that i could ride any distance at all. This was shortly followed by the realization that it was taking me twice the time as before to get to the same places. My primary goal was to bike to neighbouring counties and photograph butterflies and moths (yeah weird, i know, but i love nature). Secondary was getting into shape again. Within the first month i had a few close calls- the worst a shoulder-less road being passed by a semi going 65mph inches away from me. There was another semi beside him so he could not move over, neither did he slow down though i was clearly visible from some distance away.

I found myself in need of quick cash and reluctantly pawned the bike a short few weeks later. Several attempts to get it back went wrong. On the day i had to decide what to do i was at work, glanced down, and saw a newspaper turned to the page telling of an 18yo on a bicycle who died when struck by a vehicle on the outskirts of my town. Not at all superstitious, but i took that as one last warning and let the thing go. I’m done too. Sad.

2 Likes

Yes, it is sad. You can’t enjoy riding a bicycle because people don’t pay attention. So many died needlessly and many more injured seriously, and yet very little is done to change the situation. This also applies to motorcycles. Most drivers get angry when we’re on the road with them and actually think it’s our fault. It’s sad that an 18 year old died while he was riding his bicycle. :pensive:

1 Like

When I travel in China I’ve noticed most of the major cities have not just marked lanes for bicycles and electric scooters – but a divided section from the main street that runs parallel on both sides . Traffic is generally so dense it would be impossible to share the road with both cars and bicycles.

On that note … I’ve only seen 1 traffic accident in China during my visits to Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai,and Guangzhou. It was a very minor incident with a motorized street vendor cart. The number of vehicles on the streets are insane, but they are 100% eyes on road and never allow themselves to be distracted.

They do honk their horns excessively but it’s just a way of announcing “Hey I’m over here” instead of in the US where a honk means “You irritate me and get out of my way”.

1 Like