On the Topic of Driving and Awareness of What is around you!

off topic
I just came back from the locality called Livigno, located at 2800 meters above sea level, and in the back I saw this 26-year-old centaur who died lying on the ground, covered by a thermal cloth, because of an idiotic woman

https://www.ilgiorno.it/brescia/cronaca/esine-incidente-superstrada-1.4009276

Can’t count the times something like this^ almost happened to me and why I ride no more.

2 Likes

But dying at age 26 for a woman who reversed the highway, not to make a column.
Is absurd

3 Likes

It was a stupid mistake. Sometimes when driving, some people lose all of the common sense and awareness of what is around them.

3 Likes

You Dobbie03, yours are very wise words.

2 Likes

Problem is, you can have all the riding skills in the world and it won’t matter. People in cars (when not making stupid mistakes) aren’t looking for bikes, they’re looking for other cars.

3 Likes

Ok, but if you know the highway code, you can not turn around on a freeway.
And today in those beautiful mountain places, there were many motorcycles, perhaps much more than cars, given the hot day of 37 degrees, so it could be expected.

1 Like

To most people that isn’t a thing…there is a large part of society who should never have the permission to be on the road.

3 Likes

Because we drive on the right side in the states, 9/10 times it’s someone in a car making a left turn in front of you. If you think about it, a bike coming at you has a pretty slim and hard to see profile.

2 Likes

Amazingly, I have been hit four times when I rode my bicycle. Each time the individuals say they did not see me, even when I am right in front of them. In fact the last person was trying to make a right turn against the red light. I was crossing the intersection while the lights was green. I happen to see movement in the corner of my eye. I looked straight at her, but she was only looking to her left. Then I remember yelling stop! The next thing I knew, I was laying on the asphalt, with cars passing within inches of me passing by me. I was very fortunate not to have been run over as well. My bicycle riding days are over. When I drive I try to scan every direction for bicycles and motorcycles as well as pedestrians. People just don’t know how to scan, and like @Dobbie03 said, they’re distracted. And these hits were before smartphones!:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Man close call there.

I have been almost taken out twice myself. There are some awful drivers out there.

2 Likes

Now I get migraines and have headaches every day. I really think my guardian angel has softened the blows. The first time I got hit was from behind. I ended up flying backwards over the car and landing on my neck. At best I should have been a vegetable, at worst dead. It’s amazing that I am not in a wheelchair at all. But these headaches are interfering with life. So, I have to do things in between migraines and hope that the headaches are nominal. This is one of the many reasons why I am a Christian. These many accidents seem to be like someone working very hard to take me out. But, another force is doing everything to keep me alive.

1 Like

Shit man.

I used to work with a guy that broke his neck hitting a stationary truck at full tit. He is a quadriplegic now.

1 Like

Sometimes life can be very strange. In some situations one person could come out without a scratch. And in the same situation, have a life changing experience or worse. My wife would have died in a horrible accident when she was 17. A classmate wanted to trade places with her in van. That night a drunk driver slammed into the van that they were in. The driver of the van and several others were killed. My wife somehow got out of the van before it burst into flames. The girl she traded places with, didn’t make it. My wife’s right femur was shattered. It was years before the femur and knee could be fixed. You never know that one small act could be a matter of life or death.

Such a tragic story, I ****ing hate car drivers.

It is always vital to have an escape route and to plan ahead to cover all eventualities.

I have over 30,000 hours of experience as a professional motorcyclist and I’m still learning :slight_smile:

I can strongly recommend this book, it has quite literally saved my life on numerous occasions:

https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?DI=637679

3 Likes

here the video
Attention in the video there scenes strongly ugly.
http://www.teleboario.it/tbnews/scontro-auto-moto-a-esine-muore-26enne-di-gianico/

Extremely high traffic due to:
Yesterday Valcamonica was stormed for two events of great appeal, namely the Italian cycling championships and the Camunia Rally
among other things large traffic wax per bicycle lane, for the Italian championship

Just over a year ago, my Brother in law Frank went on his normal Sunday ride, 5 miles from home and as he went through town… Was hit and passed away before the EMT’s could get there. Really shook up the family, great guy. We had shirts made after his funeral in his favorite color green with ‘Team Frank’ printed on them. I wear it every Sunday. It turned out, the man who hit him was his elderly next door neighbor who he had known all his life :frowning:

@sevenday4, hope you get to feeling better my friend and happy to still have you with us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, glad I am around. And sorry for your loss. There’s no words or any action that can help your family’s sorrow, but mourn with you all. By the way, welcome to the team, being a moderator.

1 Like

Stay safe my friend. Unfortunately, there are people on the road that should not be. The only way to stay safe is defensive driving and pray that you don’t get hit, especially on a motorcycle.

1 Like

Thank you on both counts, it’s an honor.

1 Like