ArchLabs Linux

Obhud (Openbox HUD) for laptop users

Hi @nwg, using obhud means a lot for me, thank you!

After obhud stopped working i found out that unfortunately it can’t do anything as long a folder ~/tmp exists, as it seem to need a file ~/tmp:

% obhud 11:46:51
/bin/sh: /home/entr0py/tmp: Is a folder.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “hud.py”, line 162, in
main()
File “hud.py”, line 55, in main
check_dimensions()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/obhud/commands.py”, line 253, in check_dimensions
values.screen_dimensions = measure_screen()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/obhud/commands.py”, line 238, in measure_screen
resolution_string = open(values.tmp, ‘r’).read()
IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: ‘/home/entr0py/tmp’

1 Like

Good point! The file name could’ve been more specific. :smiley: I’ll change it and publish AUR update tonight. Thanks for the bug report!

1 Like

@entr0py 0.2.3-1 in AUR. Hope I did not screw up anything. :smiley:

~/tmp file replaced with ~/obhud-tmp

1 Like

Thanks, that’s fast!

All fine :smiley:

Great!

Thanks again for pointing out the issue.

On my Dell Latitude E6430 with ALPS/PS2 touchpad I use obhud and itś great!!
I have one problem though. I can not get synaptics to work properly. Disable touchpad while typing is one example and I see i in Arch-wiki that synaptics is not maintained anymore and here comes the real problem. When I uninstall synaptics I see that it is a dependency to obhud. Is that possible to change to libinput instead?

womp

I need to take a closer look at this, which will be possible when I’m back home (tomorrow). Thanks for reporting the issue!

1 Like

This seems not to be easy. With synaptics, to turn touchpad on/off, we just need:

touchpad_on = synclient TouchpadOff=0
touchpad_off = synclient TouchpadOff=1

With libinput, after Arch Wiki:

To disable the touchpad, first get its name with xinput list and then disable it with xinput disable name .

First, we would have to parse an output similar to this:

[piotr@asuspro ~]$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DaKai 2.4G RX Consumer Control          	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DaKai 2.4G RX Mouse                     	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Asus Wireless Radio Control             	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ DaKai 2.4G RX                           	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ DaKai 2.4G RX System Control            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ USB Camera: USB Camera                  	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Asus WMI hotkeys                        	id=16	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=17	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ DaKai 2.4G RX Consumer Control          	id=19	[slave  keyboard (3)]

Furthermore: the command xinput enable 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad' doesn’t seem to work for me.

If you’d like to get rid of synaptics, and still have obhud on your machine, you’d need a package built for your personal use, w/o synaptics in dependencies. You’d also have to edit ~/.config/obhud and redefine touchpad_on and touchpad_off variables.

Let me know if you need help at building the package.

Hi and sorry for the delay!
I have been very busy and one of the things I have been doing is researching touchpads. My son’s girlfriend sold her old computer to me for 30 bucks! HP ProBook 640 G1. 8GB ram, haswell, 256GB SSD. The reason she sold it was that it is not possible to upgrade to Windows 10 . (it’s always a good thing not to have that problem!)
To make touchpad work well for me (old mac-idiot) synaptics seems to be a must (even if it’s standstill with dev.) So do not work your eyes out for my account! The HUD is a great tool for linux-laptop-users! Thank you!!

womp

2 Likes

Not bad! My daughter’s boyfriend bought a powerful gaming machine recently. I must ask if he’s got a good offer for me. :wink:

Very well. However, I’ll take a look at the code. It would be not bad to make a GTK+ version for sway / Wayland. [edit] No idea why I used to think it didn’t work with sway. :slight_smile:

This “new” laptop (took it with me to work!) is great! The only limit is space. (256 GB SSD). It’s really quick according to my standards!
Booting in 5 sec.

womp

Excellent!

My main drive is 240 GB SSD, and I still have 117 GB of free space. Another disk is 1 TB HDD, but I only use it for backups and testing partitions (ArchLabs, Void, Debian). I put into the place of the DVD drawer.

1 Like

By the way: I didn’t use obhud with sway so far, but you made me try. I only need to adjust some commands in obhud.conf.

TODO: add the possibility to use different config files (an argument) to the obhud code.

1 Like

Dell Laptop?

womp

Asus P751JF. 4 x i7, 16 GB RAM. Bought in 2015.

1 Like

@womp Would you like to check the 0.3.0-1 testing package? If so, you can download it from the dist folder on GitHub.

CHANGELOG:

• optional -c filename argument to use an alternative config file (must be appended at the end of the command, like obhud --touchpad toggle -c sway.conf); all the config files must be located in the ~/.config/obhud folder;
  • basic sway compatibility: if Synaptics does not work, it searches the touchpad status with swaymsg -t get_inputs.

I added all the changes in several hours, so it does need testing. For now seems to work well for me.

I’m not sure if I should publish this version at all. It only allows to use obhud in WMs other than Openbox, which doesn’t make much sense.

1 Like

Downloaded. I will try this tomorrow. Night here now. Looking forward to it!!

womp

1 Like

No hurry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again! Been testing obhud a couple of hours now and I can not notice anything different for me. Works very well on my end!
What I would like is that the wiki could explain more in detail the automatic keybindings and how to make your own. Otherwise I am satisifed!

womp

Thanks for help!

I’ll take a look at the Wiki.

1 Like