Obhud (Openbox HUD) for laptop users

Soon after I started using Openbox instead of GNOME, I missed the way GNOME handles laptop-specific keys (volume/brightness up/down, touchpad on/off, switching primary/secondary display). As well the keys usage, as battery low/full and AC connected/disconnected events are being followed by lovely graphical confirmations. That’s why I wrote the obhud Python script. It provides commands to use in key bindings and also in Tint2 battery-related commands, which execute required actions and display confirmations.

The most important commands:

obhud --volume {up} | {down} | {toggle}
obhud --brightness {up} | {down}
obhud --battery {low} | {LOW} | {full}
obhud --ac {connected} | {disconnected}
obhud --touchpad {on} | {off} | {toggle}
obhud --autoconfig {keys} | {tint2} | {all}
obhud --screens {switch} | {switchv} | {single} | {clone} | {right} | {left} | {above} | {below} | {detect}

By just typing $ obhud you’ll access the simple menu:

“Autoconfig” options allow to automate assigning keys in rc.xml and battery commands in Tint2 (default ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc file only). Today I tested them with my ArchLabs installation, and it seems everything went not any worse than on my Arch-powered machine.

You’ll find the project on GitHub. Do not forget to take a look at Wiki. The obhud package you’ll find in AUR.

Wow! Awesome addition. Good work.

Top job @nwg

Thanks!

No problem @nwg . Keep it on.

Another terrific share, thank you @nwg :sunglasses::+1:

Hope someone will start using it at last. :slight_smile: So far I’ve had a single feedback, since the very beginning - a false bug report.

0.2.2-1: Last night, on a fresh AL installation, I came across a crash caused by unexpected xrandr behaviour. Though I was unable to make it happen tonight, I added a workaround, which hopefully should prevent the script from crashing if it happens to someone else.

Hopefully it s ok now !