Obarun

i installed Obarun because Archlabs won’t run on my laptop, No systemd that’s not really important, it uses S6 and something called 66 !.Their website says it’s not for the noob but following on one step at a time is easy enough, from the installer it offers jwm, xfce, openbox , plasma base install .the installer is a bit like the Archlabs installer but a bit basic, But once its up and running really nice distro and so far nothing i normally use will not work without systemd and its fast as well even on my 14year old esprimo mobile,

8 Likes

For me it is one of the best arch based distros outthere.
I have it installed on my old pc and that since 2-3 years. No compatibility issues with anything. I like obarun alot.

1 Like

I’ve only had it installed for a couple of days and i love it and not only because its the only arch based distro that will run on my laptop ,ive run fedora,debian,sabayon ,puppy linux and mxlinux but obarun just runs so much better the guys on the form are helpful if you get a problem but so far the only problem I’ve had is when i installed it onto my spare HDD in my main machine it has HDMI for the display and sound but a quick search and the arch wiki had the answer

2 Likes

Hmmm, new distro to play with on the iMac. Thanks for the share.

1 Like

No problem Enjoy

1 Like

Any specific reason or just hardware related?

At any rate glad you found an arch based distro that works and you enjoy, never tried it myself but haven’t heard anything bad about it over the years.

3 Likes

i have been an Obarun user since last year, and all i can say is… you are on your own. there’s only like 1-2 active in forums that knows the stuff, youll have to find fixes, workarounds, yourself especially if you go out if its “standard” installations.

Just a hardware problem the laptop won’t run anything Ubuntu based it runs at the wrong resolution and nothing ever tried will fix it, and Arch and BSD won’t even boot up from the USB it just stops in the part way through on the boot, but the same Archlabs USB runs great on my old Dell pc

I found all the fixes I have needed from the Arch wiki so far but your right I have noticed the forum, Reddit, IRC and telegram are very quiet, but i just installed the JWM desktop and the used that and installed i3wm

1 Like

Anarchy is kind of similar in that respect, maybe Archbang, but if it’s anything Arch or Linux, there is the Arch Wiki. Unless it’s super bloated distro that you have to deconstruct.

So far the Arch Wiki has had the best and most understandable fix instructions, but
to be fair to Obarun forum i kind of enjoy the search and enjoy it when you hit enter and everything works as planned, or if not I can always reinstall !!!

1 Like

im actually speaking about the init used (s6/66) and configurations to work with it (dbus, recompiling apps without systemd not offered in their repo like transmission, mpd, f3 etc)

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons why I am not using a systemd-free Arch variant. Personally, I think they’re not ready yet. Tried to use Artix before. Basic system works, but when you try to customize the system, you are on your own. Tired to write startup scripts and deal with some basic issues like lightdm, finally gave up. Would rather use Void , Devuan or MX if I need to go systemd-free. They’re more complete.

3 Likes

So does Obarun supply service scripts for all of the Arch packages or are you supposed to write your own?

That’s the main issue with non-systemd distributions these days because upstream developers usually just supply systemd unit files. I use Alpine myself and they can use the Gentoo OpenRC init scripts but Obarun’s 66 service manager is native so it must be a big effort. Respect to the devs.

2 Likes

So far Pacman and AUR have supplied all the packages I need, the only problem so far I’ve had is cmus doesn’t work, but it could be a hardware problem I have all kind of problems because this laptop is quite old, And I don’t know anything about init scripts I think I need to do some more reading and educate myself
this is what the Obarun says about init

Systemd replacement is made by Skarnet’s S6 supervision suite as init and by Obarun’s own 66 service management. S6 and 66 is the heart of Obarun, it is what makes it unique and special from all other linux systems.

2 Likes

hi it transpires i am an idiot!!! Sitting at home to day i gave it another try and if i don’t choose grub option and use startx as the display manger and use the default kernel Archlabs works on my laptop. Last time i used the hardened kernel and the time before that i used the LTS kernel and they both show up problems on boot