Nwg-shell for sway

If you have some testing hardware (sway is a bit troublesome on VM), you may try the ArchLabs sway session. Or, for the latest package versions, set up nwg-shell on vanilla Arch.

1 Like

My old Toshiba laptop would be perfect, get back to you once I get AL installed. :wink:

2 Likes

What greeter, if any, are you using; greetd, LightDM, ?? @nwg
TIA

ly. Not really hassle-free, but I dislike it less than the others.

3 Likes

Haha I feel the same way

1 Like

Well running Sway a few days and it feels like having i3 under Gnome (Sorry!). First thing to go was bars I needed more screen estate and did not want all the applets and gizmos.

Sway does have a bit of a learning curve, even reading Arch wiki gave me a headache. Thankfully nwg-shell has many useful feaures and settings which make life so much easier. Of course coming from xorg I was trying to get screenshots using scrot!. Anyway I figured it out in the end.

Keep up the good work :wink:

7 Likes

I would post about how well AL sway works but it really doesn’t matter. Everything works…I need to do an update lol…

4 Likes

I keep on telling everyone that I like the GNOME look, but not the workflow and lack of possibility to adjusting it to your liking. Whoever does not like GUI, should not use GUI. That’s all.

Probably using nwg-shell in the AL sway session was a mistake, but it wasn’t my idea. It was offered to me and I agreed. I have no problem giving up on it.

4 Likes

Um no!..

2 Likes

Well , it doesn t look like a mistake on my end. Keep it on @nwg

More choices to the members.

3 Likes

Chaulk me up in the Gnome shell look category too @nwg. The workflow is keyboard dynamic, which I prefer. An option to remove the wasted space of window decor & dynamic tiling would be welcome.

Fully support your effort & highly recommend you continue with your vision, whether it’s as a part of AL or your own project.

I’ll say this … in my use, Wayland is the real deal. Might not be for everyone, but it’s performance is undeniable.

4 Likes