Nwg-panel

Welcome Brothers in Sway on this forum. Yes, you two. :rofl: My latest work seems to be ready for beta testing:

I have been using sway since 2019 and find it the most comfortable working environment, but… Have you ever missed all the graphical bells and whistles in your panel, we used to have in tint2? It happens to me. That’s why I decided to try to code a GTK-based panel, including best features from my two favourites: Waybar and tint2.

I am writing this all to ask you for help at testing. For me, the program works stably and without problems, but there are definitely many bugs to be discovered. Thanks in advance!

7 Likes

Top work again @nwg

Nice work @nwg :slight_smile:

I’ll try it out soon once I’ve finished messing with DragonFly BSD…

Thanks in advance! I’ve had some feedback from Reddit, but fairly not enough. I’m working on config GUI at the moment.

1 Like

nwg-panel 0.1.0 released, published in AUR

The first beta release comes with the config GUI:

4 Likes

@nwg is it primarily tested against sway or wayfire?

Sway. Usability on other wlroots compositor is limited, until someone develops a wlr-taskbar.

3 Likes

Top again @nwg

nwg-panel 0.1.1 released

• autotiling integration added
  • minor bug fixed
2 Likes

Nice work.

1 Like

Top @nwg

Built an Alpine package for v0.1.1 but I see this error when I try to run it:

~$ nwg-panel 
pylsa module not found, will try amixer
Running on sway
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/nwg-panel", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('nwg-panel==0.1.0', 'gui_scripts', 'nwg-panel')())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/nwg_panel/main.py", line 340, in main
    cc = Controls(panel["controls-settings"], panel["position"], panel["controls"],
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/nwg_panel/modules/controls.py", line 73, in __init__
    self.popup_window = PopupWindow(position, alignment, settings, width, monitor=monitor, icons_path=self.icons_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/nwg_panel/modules/controls.py", line 340, in __init__
    scale.set_value(value)
TypeError: Argument 1 does not allow None as a value
1~$

Here’s my APKBUILD:

# Contributor: Matthew T Hoare <matthew.t.hoare@gmail.com>
# Maintainer: Matthew T Hoare <matthew.t.hoare@gmail.com>
pkgname=nwg-panel
pkgver=0.1.1
pkgrel=0
pkgdesc="GTK3-based panel for sway window manager"
url="https://github.com/nwg-piotr/nwg-panel"
arch="noarch"
license="MIT"
depends="gtk+3.0 gtk-layer-shell python3 py3-gobject3 py3-i3ipc py3-psutil"
makedepends="py3-setuptools py3-wheel"
options="!check" # no tests
source="$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::https://github.com/nwg-piotr/nwg-panel/archive/v$pkgver.tar.gz"

package() {
        python setup.py install --root="$pkgdir" --optimize=1
        install -D -t "pkgdir"/usr/share/pixmaps nwg-panel.svg
        install -D -t "pkgdir"/usr/share/applications nwg-panel-config.desktop
}

sha512sums="32b6fd18fda2dea50f4f06b1175e5df886f6577d412dfdaf9bc12912189ee9a89ecb849de131c7047b719b2ca1b619106b39cc7954b1576b1b4835a061070296  nwg-panel-0.1.1.tar.gz"

What have I done wrong? Apologies in advance, I’m so tired from $DAY_JOB that I’m having trouble thinking straight.

Top @Head_on_a_Stick

Tomorrow will be better to work on it mate.

1 Like

Probably it’s my fault. I’ll try to reproduce the error later tonight, even though clean install seemed to go well on my machine so far. Looks like a key missing from the config dictionary, hell knows.

Alright, it crashes, being unable to get the volume value. Since the pyalsa module is unavailable, it tries to parse response of amixer sget Master. The alsa-utils package is necessary. Do you have it installed? I don’t see it in dependencies in your APKBUILD.

BTW: I assumed, that the user will always have alsa-utils installed, and the program doesn’t check if it’s true. I think I’ll add a check and turn the sound control off if alsa-utils not found.

[edit] I added a check for amixer availability. The program should no longer crash, just the sound slider won’t show up. Could be checked by installing from the master branch.

1 Like

nwg-panel 0.1.2 released

AUR up to date.

2 Likes

Top @nwg