Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Hi!

I have found a graphics card Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 (for free!) but following arch-wiki makes the system hang on boot. Is this card a so called “problem-card” for Linux? Haven’t found much on the net about this card and Linux.

womp

Have you checked if it runs on another system (windows or linux)? Just to check if the card is actually working and not damaged. Last time I installed archlabs on a system with NVIDIA card, the installer detected the card and automatically ran the archlabs nvidia installer (that was on a GTX 1050 TI though).
I would install proprietary drivers for NVIDIA, as they tend to run 5x better from my experience.

Yes I have tested that it works on Windows 7. I have tried to install 390xx as it says on the wiki but it hangs on boot.

womp

@womp can you elaborate what exactly you did or how you tried to install the necessary drivers? Can you provide a link to the instructions you followed?

According to arch-wiki it seems very simple. I looked up the card in nvidia database and there it is supported by 390xx driver. I installed that driver and after that a reboot (because nouveau gets blacklisted automatically). The reboot hangs and I have to open a tty and unistall and reboot.

womp

Ah, so when you uninstall it, everything works fine again? If that is the case then I had the same problem with my GTX 1050. When I tried to install proprietary drivers they would just hang after a reboot and I would need to uninstall them. I couldn’t fix the problem by myself, thats why the archlab installer installs everything correctly by it’s own so I can’t mess anything up. I would suggest you let either archlabs do the work or in this case stick to the open source drivers for now as they seem to work (atleast for me they did back then, but the performance in games was terrible compared to the proprietary drivers). It might be because of conflicting drivers (mesa/vesa/etc.) but an expert has to answer that, as I couldn’t fix the issue myself.

But as said: archlabs installer usually handles NVIDIA cards (atleast mine) and also handles proprietary driver.

1 Like

Thanks for answer. I remember that the installer asked if I wanted nvidia-prop-driver installed and I answered yes but I still got the nouveau after installation! I had an even older card before and that was supported only by 304xx and with nouveau it took 10 sec to move a window a few inches! Nouveau on this card works much better but if it is possible I would like the non-free.

womp

Same here, but with gtx1050ti as i described in another thread here. https://forum.archlabslinux.com/t/hello-al-not-installing-nvidia-drivers/1496/6 With “archlabs-2018.06.iso” i dont have any problem with nvidia. It is since “archlabs-2018.07.iso”.

1 Like

That’s strange!

womp

The machine is not “hanged” if you can still use it, you just don’t have a graphical desktop, that’s all :wink:

Have you tried disabling kernel modesetting? Details are in the ArchWiki.

2 Likes

Thanks for answer! I will read up on kernel modesetting tomorrow. It’s night here now (unforturnately and I have an early morning!)
I did a test of the “new” card with Bunsenlabs and nvidia non-free and the card works well! I am determined to make it work in Archlabs!

womp

Kernel modeseting is now disabled and then I followed the easy steps to install Nvidia-390xx but after reboot I still have nouveau loaded as the driver? How is that possible?

womp

1 Like

I’m thinking that it’s automatically installed. My Nvidia card is 6800GE and have no issues with the driver nvidia-340xx. You may want to see if your card is using the driver or nouveau. And as @anon42040838 said, you may not be seeing a desktop and if I’m correct, some times I’m not, it may be in tty1.

1 Like

I just came home from work and did a reboot and

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"

gave “Kernel driver in use: nvidia”!?

sudo nvidia-xconfig

(as a start) and now I am going to reboot. Hope I will be back in a few!?

womp

2 Likes

Yeeees!!
Thank you so much!! Really great!!

I will mark as solved!

womp

1 Like