No support for non-UEFI installs on latest iso install (AL 2018.07.28)

As title states, can t get AL s latest installed because their s no supports for non-UEFI on older laptops on my end. (AL 2018.07.28)

Wonder what to do if can t be installed out of the box as it used to be the case beforehand (AL2018.05 on my side).

Edit: Been trying to install for the last 2 days to no avail, wonder if I m alone like that.

Edit2: iso live-updated before installing.

1 Like

To continue on, tried again to make partitions the usual way that I always do on gparted but on install it doesn t want to mount, don t remember the error stated on the installer.

1 Like

@altman Hi Man :slight_smile:

Is ArchLabs to be the only operating system on the drive?

Yes sir, I always mount on metal & to one install only, less issues up to now ! lol

Edit: guess that I m gonna try to edit gparted to another way to partition to see if it s working with the newer installer or iso.

1 Like

You know, when testing using BIOS I created a small boot partition to write grub to because it wasn’t clear to me at the time, if you select ‘none’ or skip at that point, grub will be written to MBR. Since then Nate has told me so but I haven’t tried to write grub to MBR. Maybe if you attempt making a small boot partition prior in gparted and point the installer there when prompted, it will work?

Thx @anon37345411 , tried with or without (skip/none ) at that point to no avail yet , will try something else to see if it s working.

Edit: Weird, that I put the swap file on sda1 or at sda2 on gparted ( either swap on top or not)it changes nothing concidering the install at all, a first on my side . Never seen this in 10-15 years, wonder if alone like this.

1 Like

You can add non-UEFI support after the installation.

First boot up the “live” ISO image then mount all of your partitions, for example if you have the root filesystem ("/") on /dev/sda1 and /boot on /dev/sda2 you would run

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mkdir -p /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot

Once the partitions are all mounted, chroot in and install GRUB in non-UEFI mode:

arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda

Then configure /boot/grub/grub.cfg, either manually or with

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Once that has finished use exit or +d (twice) to leave the chroot & terminal and then reboot the live system.

EDIT: or skip the arch-chroot stage and use this instead:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg # may include live system boot entries, best to write it yourself
2 Likes

@altman I had the same issue even though I do have UEFI capabilities as well as legacy capabilities. What I had to do was go back to the version that worked last time. See if an earlier version will work, then update from there. Have you talked with @natemaia about a possible solution?:thinking:

1 Like

Thx @Head_on_a_Stick , but the issue is that I can t install at all, can these commands be done on the live iso disk beforehand !

Edit :Forget what I wrote just above, will check it out.

Yes, the commands should be run from the live ISO after the installer has finished placing ArchLabs on the disk.

EDIT: if your disk has a GUID partition table then you need a BIOS boot partition (with no filesystem) to hold GRUB’s bits.

1 Like

Ok thx @Head_on_a_Stick , but I can t install AL on disk at all , weird .

Why not? What happens when you try? Please post the exact error message.

1 Like

Thx @sevenday4 , I can get back to AL2018.05 but it wont be of any help to the newer users of AL & they might end up installing another distro.

Wonder if @natemaia forgot about non-UEFI installs. Might happen somehow…

Ok , I m on my other lappy right now, gotta get to my other one, thx.

Edit1:Well , the message s pretty long, to whatever reasons, I can t copy&paste

I can’t believe I am going to ask you to do this, but can you take a picture of the message and post that?

2 Likes

@sevenday4 lol. have nothing to take pix , I m a no tech old fart !

Well , kind of pissed of right now, guess I m gonna try later on on this install issue, Thx anyways for the help & sorry about wasting your time.

Or just scrot using the live system.

1 Like

Never be, you know that :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol, & now that old lappy s frozen cold, nothing s working, gotta do an hard shutoff so to speak, better get some walk before I trow it in the garbages ! lol

1 Like