No ik8 module on kernels can I include on updates?

Hi all,
latest kernels dont come with ik8 module included, but I used it for my fan control for the dell xps

is there a way that every time there is a new kernel downloaded by pacman it gets to be build with this module?

I really don’t want to have to build my own kernel

thanks in advance

Did you check to see if the module is available in the AUR? A couple modules for my HP were dropped, but I can install them from the AUR. One time install, kernel updates pick them up.

2 Likes

Unfortunately is not.

it is the i8k

The new kernels don’t have it, you can enable it if you custom build kernel.

1 Like

Wonder if the LTS version kernel has i8k needed.

1 Like

Good point, Might be, I believe the module was dropped on >5.18

1 Like

Hopefully for you it s still there on the LTS one. !

1 Like

Here is a bit of info about ik8.
https://github.com/vitorafsr/i8kutils/issues/34

No sure what model dell you have.
https://github.com/TomFreudenberg/dell-bios-fan-control

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1094485/dell-xps-15-9570-how-to-control-the-fans

This looks interesting too…

2 Likes

Will any of these do what you need them to do?

2022-08-13-@13-38-43-scrot

1 Like

Yep, I seen that :frowning:

nah, I checked those, those are cli tools that are using the /proc/i8k
as the i8k module is not built in the kernel after 5.18, the /proc is not existing

The thing is the Dell has an OK fan control from BIos but sometimes I was putting it on 100% cause the Bios Fan control curve is rather slow to pickup.

I suppose the question is, if when Arch downloads a kernel, want specific modules to be included, instead of compiling the kernel myself, can I have a config somewhere that is taken into consideration for the compile?

I’m not sure what the issue is, i8k was just an alias to dell_smm_hwmon anyhow and as far as I can tell it’s still fully available

modprobe i8k

Source: Fan speed control - ArchWiki

I’m on the zen kernel so maybe they have it enabled?

5.18.16-zen1-1-zen

At any rate you should first do a modprobe for the module and see if it is/isn’t available.

1 Like

Looks like 5.18.16-zen1-1-zen was the last version to have i8k zen.

$ modprobe i8k
modprobe: FATAL: Module i8k not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.16-zen1-1-zen

I suppose the original issue is

I used to use i8kfan to control the fans manually.
after the 5.18 kernel the i8k is not compiled by default so the i8kfan tool is not able to find the module

( I hope I have understand the issue, happy to be corrected )

[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ i8kfan 2 2
cant open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory                                                                                           [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ ll
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ modprobe i8k                                                                                    [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ lsmod | grep i8k                                                                                [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ uname -a
Linux dell-xps-7590.archlabs.laptop.blackmamba.internal 5.18.16-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:25:04 +0000 x86_64 GNU [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$                                                                                            (master✱)

i8k has been deprecated since 5.18 in Arch kernels. Try the LTS version (5.15.xx) or enable CONFIG_I8K and build your own from kernel source.

Weird enought

5.19, it is fine :confused: :confused:

[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ uname -a
Linux dell-xps-7590.archlabs.laptop.blackmamba.internal 5.19.1-arch2-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:06:13 +0000 x86_64 GNU/ [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ file /proc/i8k
/proc/i8k: empty                                                                                                                          [0.1s]
2 2                                                                                                                                       [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ sudo /usr/bin/dell-bios-fan-control 0
BIOS CONTROL DISABLED                                                                                                                     [0.1s]
2 2                                                                                                                                       [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$ lsmod | grep i8k                                                                                [0.1s]
[jstilia:...b/terraform-infra/terraform]$                                                                                            (master✱)
1 Like

Guess they heard your complaint and include it in the build again. :grinning:

CONFIG_I8K=y

in /proc/config.gz

lol, many people had the issue :smiley:
I think the i8kutils package suffered the most :smiley:

I literally came to this thread to ask if 5.19 had fixed the issue. Glad to hear it has.