ArchLabs Linux

No GUI after adding GPU

I’m messing around with Archlabs on an old Core 2 Quad computer, and I remembered I had an equally old 9600 GT lying around so I stuck it in there, booted it up, and everything looked fine while it was going through all the text and OK things (resolution was correct, color was fine, no artifacts) but after that finished instead of a greeter I was met with nothing but the last few lines of the boot sequence stuff. I pulled the card out and made sure every possible bit of nouveau was installed and the card was supported but still nothing. Anyone know what’s going on?

By greeter, do you mean a login manager like LightDM?

That may be broken, you can disable the service and see if you an boot to the console and get a X-session desktop with startx.

well i disabled LightDM and then installed xorg-xinit but the startx command turns into this weird broken thing of three “windows” showing the console, and that’s without the GPU installed. I re-enabled lightdm so I could actually load the desktop.
It says: xprop: error: Invalid window id format: found…
basically I’m not sure how to get the xinit stuff working

Create a ~/.xinitrc for the window manager you installed. Without it, you get that console setup.

You should be able to log in with startx after that.

so I never did really figure out how to properly use xinit
but
when directly comparing the outputs with and without the gpu
with the gpu it says
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
(EE) Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
blah blah blah heres the wiki blah blah blah
xinit:giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connectino refused
xinit: server error
(without the GPU it goes to the screen with the three consoles)

Hi, posted yours .xintrc
Which D.E. you are using?
Cheers

In the end, everything worked fine after a fresh install that didn’t use lightdm
also openbox