New York to ban sale of all gas-powered vehicles by 2035

CA signed the legislation last year. More states, maybe even nations will follow in the future. This will be a huge hit to the oil industry.

So stupid, so many cars were built, looks like they imagine that everyone will buy an ev & have loads of money.

In PL an electric Volkswagen costs over twice as much as traditional one. No fucking way.

Same in NA.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/

You bet @nwg . Newest scam from the goverment & the makers.

Bet I’ll look funny in my wheelchair and dog team, if I live that long.

2 Likes

So everyone in New York will be buying a new car by 2034.

Under the new law, 100% of in-state sales of new passenger cars and trucks will have zero emissions by 2035.

What’s the added cost if someone goes to a neighboring state to purchase a gas-powered car?

Good time to be an auto mechanic in New York keeping those older cars on the road.

1 Like

Looks like some awaken dreamings from the NY state goverment here.

They could simply reject your vehicle registration in the state.

Not only NY state. CA passed the legislation last year. Guess more blue states will follow soon, then red states, then Europe, …

Wow, looks like they don t know with what else they can come up with or fads in order to screw everyone !

“It’s a Hot Dog, and a not Hot Dog. It’s technology” - Jian Yang

https://arstechnica.com/cars/

Auto manufacturers and Big Energy are already going green, the old combustible engine is going the way of the rotary phone. That new Ford F150 Lightning is pretty badass, if you click the first Ars link that’s pretty much a news aggregate on where the future of cars are heading. I see all kinds of electric vehicles in my town, we have golf cart lanes, bike paths that have the new electric bicycles that can zip over 30 mph, Tesla’s and other all electric cars, and my town is all about clean air, water, and energy, has been for decades. Because our economy is dependent on it.

Legislation such as NY’s and CA’s incentivize and create new markets, and in ten years with added “green” infrastructure there will be more electric cars on the market at various price points available for the consumer that gas powered will go by the way of “classic”. It’s not a fad with that much investment and capital towards it.

I think Minnesota has similar legislation pending.

What’s the latest plan in CA to provide the necessary kilowatts?

I think they can scale it for the demand over the next decade that would probably be like a fraction of powering Las Vegas.

What a joke. Our government has banned the import of gas powered vehicles by 2030. They think that we have some magical infrastructure capable of charging approx 6-7 million EV vehicles as well as power the country.

Our current infrastructure currently can’t handle an out of the blue cold night. How the fuck will it handle charging power hungry EV vehicles?

3 Likes
  1. Electrified vehicles are becoming viable and competitive; however, the speed of their adoption will vary strongly at the local level.

Stricter emission regulations, lower battery costs, more widely available charging infrastructure, and increasing consumer acceptance will create new and strong momentum for penetration of electrified vehicles (hybrid, plug-in, battery electric, and fuel cell) in the coming years. The speed of adoption will be determined by the interaction of consumer pull (partially driven by total cost of ownership) and regulatory push, which will vary strongly at the regional and local level.

In 2030, the share of electrified vehicles could range from 10 percent to 50 percent of new-vehicle sales. Adoption rates will be highest in developed dense cities with strict emission regulations and consumer incentives (tax breaks, special parking and driving privileges, discounted electricity pricing, et cetera). Sales penetration will be slower in small towns and rural areas with lower levels of charging infrastructure and higher dependency on driving range.

Through continuous improvements in battery technology and cost, those local differences will become less pronounced, and electrified vehicles are expected to gain more and more market share from conventional vehicles. With battery costs potentially decreasing to $150 to $200 per kilowatt-hour over the next decade, electrified vehicles will achieve cost competitiveness with conventional vehicles, creating the most significant catalyst for market penetration. At the same time, it is important to note that electrified vehicles include a large portion of hybrid electrics, which means that even beyond 2030, the internal-combustion engine will remain very relevant.

1 Like

Yes, another problem is the time it takes to charge the vehicle. I don’t know how the battery/charging technology will develop in 10 years, but I would prefer not to drive a Tesla for a long distance travel now.

Do the Australians still host that solar powered car race in the Outback? I was reading about that a few years back but didn’t keep up with it. The race was as much a way to showcase research as well as have some fun with your home made car.

That’s what’s missing from the electric car movement here in the US. A car that is self-charging so you don’t need to plug into the existing infrastructure.