New to ArchLabs

I was looking for a distro similar to AcroLinux and ran across Yours. From a couple of video reviews they claim at least the latest release has a live installer. All I’m seeing when I boot the ISO is the command prompt and being to to to type installer which when I do takes me to a terminal based installer. I downloaded the ISO from Get ArchLabs – ArchLabs Linux and looked at ArchLabs Tutorial - Step by step installing ArchLabs 4.1 which suggest ArchLabs does have a live ISO available. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks I look forward to trying out ArchLabs.

2 Likes

The current iso is a live command line environment. There is not a live graphical X session.

The installer is text based, but intuitive and user friendly.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @MediaMogul

1 Like

Welcome @MediaMogul :wave:

1 Like

Ok now that is cleared up can I at least do my partitions using a GUI program and just mount them during the install? I’m not comfortable doing partitions from the command line. Thanks

cfdisk should be available on the AL iso. It’s an ncurses based partition tool and user friendly. I use it all the time before installing.

But yes, you can use whatever tool you prefer to pre-partition the disk then run the installer. The installer will recognize your partition layout and let you define mount points.

2 Likes

Like PackRat mentioned … absolutely, you can use another live distro to create a new (GPT) partition table and set up your partitions as you would like to.

FYI … If you would like to do something like Garuda does with Timeshift & Btrfs, you could, for example, create something like an … efi & BTRFS partitions (you can also chose to encrypt your root partition in the ArchLabs installer) … then add the “grub-btrfs”, “timeshift” & “timeshift-autosnap” (I think that’s it) software to achieve system backups (automatically taken before software updates) from the grub menu.

Welcome!
GM

2 Likes

Welcome and glad to have you here!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

My normal setup is:

Boot/Efi
/

Then once on the desktop add Timeshift if I need to, autosnap, and grub-btrfs.

2 Likes

Your right.

GM

1 Like