ArchLabs Linux

New to Arch, a few issues I am having bother with, can anyone help?

Hey everyone, thought I would give a quick intro, then ask a couple of questions, hope that’s okay?

So, I got into computers, around 1990, Commodore Amiga A500, I had tried to make sense of them before, but was more interested in beer, girls and motorbikes, lol
Move on a couple of years, and I got my first PC, Win 3.11 and DOS 6.2, I even looked at Linux back then, does anyone remember the Dr Linux book?

To be honest, I have never really done any serious work on my computers, so usually just ran Windows and went with the flow. Although over the years I have also had various Mac’s as well as trying a few distros, from time to time and running ElementaryOS when they were back at 0.1 for a year or so.

So now, the present day. After a 22 year stint as a taxi driver, and realising it wasn’t a career, getting married to the best girl in the world at the ripe age of 50, i decided last year to attend the local college and do an HNC in computing, basically the first year of a degree. Well now, I am on the HND Computer Science course, 2nd year of degree, and loving every moment of it.

After doing a Linux module in my first year, I had decided to switch from Windows on my daily driver, so I distro hopped for most of this year, trying this and that, I also looked at different, DE’s and WM’s and I settled on Arch-labs, due to it’s ease of install, I could install vanilla Arch but it was the set up after that was annoying me, AL works great for me.

Now we get to the, “I need Help” bit…

I chose i3, during the install, as it was my WM of choice, but because I have a ridiculously large monitor, 32" 4k Samsung the text on the screen is tiny!

I have figured out which config files to change the font size on for Termite, my terminal of choice, and Polybar, but need help with…

Rofi, Opera and Chromium. The font size is just tiny, i need to increase it by half as much as it is, I have searched the forum as well as the internet, but just not finding what I am seeking.

Second problem, the clock in Polybar, is not displaying the correct time? I set the correct timezone during the install, Europe/London but for some reason it is 1 hour ahead of what it should be?

Third and final problem for now, when i restart the computer if it has been asleep, or if I have locked the screen, Polybar doesn’t display, I have to press Super Shift and R to reload it, not a major issue I know, just annoying, is there any way to fix this?

Anyway, I hope it is okay to ask these questions, and I hope someone can point me in the correct direction

Cheers

Welcome!

I’ve a 4K monitor also and this is what i did (with the great help here in the forum):

sudo nano /etc/profile.d/gtk3-hidpi.sh

and add these lines:

export GDK_SCALE=2
export GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5

You can of course use any text editor you want, i use Nano.

Also i added this to .Xresources file, it’s hidden in the home folder:

!--------------------------------------------
! Custom DPI
!Xft.dpi: 144
Xft.dpi: 165
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb

Xcursor.size: 32

I have those exact values in my system, try them out. If needed, tweak them to matching your needs. Some apps need special treatment, google “some_app hidpi”.

EDIT: With the wrong time you could do this:

timedatectl set-ntp true

I just use echo 'Xft.dpi: 144' | xrdb in my startup and set my fonts accordingly, but I love tiny fonts so ymmv

I too love tiny fonts. :smiley:

This is my .Xresources:

! Custom DPI

Xft.dpi: 161
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Xft.hinting: 	true
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb
rofi.dpi: 192

Xcursor.size: 32

I also run i3 and I have no issues with scaling. If fonts are too large then just adjust to suit.