New Install - Newbie Questions

Hello to everyone,

Just installed a AL ( latest to iso ). Almost everything smoothie but as i never used openbox before need to make few questions.

1. How can i create tint2 elements and edit them through tint2 settings ?
  • one more thing i notice is that sometimes the " task tray / notifications area ( volumeicon, battery, wifi, date ) going black/trans and i have to double click on it to view it normaly. How to disable this ? m using default archlab tint2 config.
  • i make volumeicon to open pulse audio via the setting: preferences - status icons - external mixer: xterm -e ‘pavucontrol’ but it open terminal also and not only pavucontrol. how to fix this ?
  • also to add user buttons next to date as logout,restart etc.
  1. Got error installing conky-manager2 from aur and conky-lua-nv from aur.

I’m still editing things so if i have anything else to ask i will reply to my thread. please dont guide me to external links as my internet is very slowly. thank you.

pavucontrol does not need to be launched from a terminal, so in your command:

xterm -e pavucontrol

the “xterm -e” part isn’t needed. You can remove that part.

The issue with the systemtray going black/transparent looks like a picom issue. Comment out the picom line in your ~/.xprofile and see if that fixes the issue.

The tint2 configurations are detailed in the tint2 home page..

More details needed on the aur issues. How did you try to install them - which AUR helper? ArchLabs has it’s own AUR helper baph.

baph -h

in a terminal to see all the options.

4 Likes

@PackRat thank you for your reply.

Well pavucontrol is working normally now following your comment. Systemtray also.

Regarding conky-manager2-git and conky-lua-nv from aur i was installing them via yay.
I tried also with baph and got the following errors:

For conky-lua-nv:

/home/playah/.cache/baph/builds/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:8351:14: error: call to non-‘constexpr’ function ‘long int sysconf(int)’
 8351 |     32768 >= MINSIGSTKSZ ? 32768 : MINSIGSTKSZ;
      |              ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/bits/sigstksz.h:24:
/usr/include/unistd.h:640:17: note: ‘long int sysconf(int)’ declared here
  640 | extern long int sysconf (int __name) __THROW;
      |                 ^~~~~~~
/home/playah/.cache/baph/builds/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:8409:41: error: size of array ‘altStackMem’ is not an integral constant-expression
 8409 | char FatalConditionHandler::altStackMem[sigStackSize] = {};
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/build.make:76: tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/test-common.cc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1253: tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:166: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().

and for conky-manager2:

==> Starting prepare()...
patching file src/makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 29.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/makefile.rej
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...
==> Removing installed dependencies...

Regarding tint2 i’m reading a lot of threads for polybar. I can see that it’s a bit more difficult for a newly user to edit it and go on but what you suggest as more comfortable for usage?

thank you.

Depends on what you want to display. The forum has tint2 and polybar threads with working user configurations. Take a look at those and see which you prefer.

2 Likes

Make sure base-devel is installed (use pacman for that) before trying to install any package from the AUR. I think those are build errors because the tools are not installed.

1 Like

base-devel is installed. I cant figure out what’s the problem as in debian they are property installed and working.

Might be broken AUR packages.

1 Like

And welcome to the forum.