New Graphics Card

So I have purchased a new graphics card, I currently have a Radeon RX460 and I have up graded to a RX570, mainly so I can run my monitors at 60Hz.

Do I need to do anything drivers wise once installed? I’m very green with GPU drivers so any advice is appreciated.

2 Likes

Nice card @Dobbie03. I guess, wonder if you install it & just restart what it will do driver-wise.

That was also my thought.

The easiest thing to do, but no guarantee it would/will work.

Mind asking which one you got ! There are so many makers.

Nothing fancy, just this one. All I want is my monitors to run at 60Hz like the should be

3 Likes

Wow, price is good also in Canada, in the low $200s also, might be the one I ll get later on on my pc project that takes forever, rather put some money maintaining & modifying my car! lol

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really game so 4GB is heaps for me. Get that PC under way man! Never better time than now.

1 Like

Yep , might check this card.

I ll also see what it does linux-wise. Sometimes these components can be a pain .

1 Like

Did you check the package details for the Radeon drivers on the Arch site to which driver (if any) support the card? If it’s like Nvidia they have a list of cards supported for each driver. I assume they do the same for Radeon.

I have to remember to get the legacy Nvidia drivers now for one of the graphics cards.

Doesn’t Radeon have a website where you can find out what Linux drivers do you need to run this GPU?

Looking at this site:

AMD GPU

The drivers are Debian based. Could there be a Arch based driver? You have two options, use dpkg or make your own package.
If you do have an Arch equivalent, is there a panel for settings?

I’d start here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244257

They probably use HDMI 1.4 (or older) and not 2.0, meaning the total data rate is not enough for 4K@60Hz, you’re pretty stuck if that’s the case, just hope they have a display port connection and use that instead. I highly doubt that a change in gpu will remedy it as the 400 series was able to do it fine over display port.

Here are the specs from a reseller in Canada, wonder if it s the same;

Looks to be the same.

1 Like

Don’t bother with AMDGPU-PRO, the open source driver is just as capable and more regularly updated.

I’m using a Vega 8 integrated graphics chip (same generation as the RX570) with the open source xf86-video-amdgpu DDX driver and amdgpu kernel driver and the performance is better than I get under Windows 10, they are fantastic drivers.

The only extra configuration I use is the TearFree option:

E485:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf       
Section "OutputClass"
   Identifier "AMDgpu"
   MatchDriver "amdgpu"
   Driver "amdgpu"
   Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
E485:~$
2 Likes

Thx, nice tip @Head_on_a_Stick

I’ll try that config out.

Hi, talk about the rx550, but I believe it is also true for yours.
Cheers

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247013

Hey @Dobbie03 . Did the card finally worked up to your tasts !