New Arch Linux installer

Looks pretty straight forward. Has anyone tested it? May test it in a vm when free.

4 Likes

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

Signed,

Arch Guys on Reddit

1 Like

I have it DLed, it’s one of my next projects. News at eleven.

1 Like

Right now I’m attempting another build of MassOS. Only one DL failed, manually retrieved and moved to the sources dir.

Time to temp the roast.

2 Likes

Very easy to use. Installing Arch together with my shell takes about 30 minutes.

I used it on the Craptop. Very simple to use though I still prefer the AL Installer.

1 Like

While I get the point of Arch saying “Learn how it install it in order to know more about your computer and have more control over it” (even though we don’t have complete control over the upstream), Linux itself to the same user market they are in the space of is just a tiny fraction of it, and even then most use a Linux distro that has an installer that isn’t text based. Most of the market sells computers with an OS already installed, even in the enterprise market (where Linux owns the server/cloud market, but a company’s IT team is smaller than the company’s sales team who are using Windows as the platform).

It’s like the mobile market, it’s either iOS or Android that ships pre-installed, they are the most used computer platforms out there, nobody gives a shit about the Pine Phone because it’s still only a proof of concept. Nobody really cares about how much control over they have over their device as long the OS works on hardware that costs them several hundred dollars.

Unlike the Pine Phone, which hardly works on it’s own hardware.

1 Like

LOL, don’t even compare. AL installer does much more, and looks way better.

2 Likes

LOL, it’s different. Arch forum moderators want you to know more about your system. RedHat wants you to know less about your system. Hobbies vs Business.

Talking about phones, there are some very good ROMs out there which do work and meanwhile respect your privacy. For personal use, you can opt to them, but for enterprises, it’s another story.

Which is why they hate installers. But they are forum mods, not…

IT guys, who would hate anyone borking stuff because it makes their actual paying jobs harder.

I used to do the ROM stuff back when it was trendy, which was years ago, like Samsung GS3 era long ago. But that’s because I bought a Samsung GS3 that had the Touchwiz interface, and was waiting for it to update to the latest version of Android that was already released a few months prior. Most of the ROMs had bugs, especially the AOSP ones. Really all you have to do is root one and put whatever framework is available for security, well the ones that run vanilla Android, and the only device I would buy for that is a Pixel. Then use F-Droid or whatever.

I wound up saying “fuck this, I am buying an iPhone”.

1 Like

LOL No comparison was made :smiley: I was more thinking along the simplicity of the new Arch Installer.

The AL Installer is far superior.

2 Likes

Yes, I have tested it. Is pretty good I must say. Only ‘odd’ thing right now: in mirror selection you can only choose one country for now (Australia, UK etc etc) . But that is easily corrected afterwards by running reflector. For most people no issue; for me in Asia a bit more. Second: additional packages you need to know by name. But I guess most people running this will know they want base-devel, vim or nano etc. So yes, a good script afaiac.

EDIT: agree with Dobbie AL is better, more straightforward. Especially for a relatively new user. But for vanilla Arch it’s pretty good imho.

2 Likes

Vanilla Arch is boring, give me a little more spice to an install.

1 Like

I managed to choose two, you select with the spacebar then once you have selected the mirrors you want you push enter.

1 Like

Downloading the ISO now and will likely try their installer tomorrow into a VM.

2 Likes

One thing I just learnt which isn’t obvious is once you have created your user push enter again and bump the privileges.
When I first did a couple of installs I couldn’t work out why my user wasn’t in the wheel group. Now I know :smiley:

3 Likes

Otherwise you wouldn’t be here… :rofl:

1 Like

Tried the arch installer and it’s alright but it’s no Archlabs installer !

4 Likes

OK, saved me some time. :grinning:

In case you’re bored, you could try Arch installer with this script, and let me know if it went well.

Edit: won’t work on VM without some extra steps.

1 Like