New AL-DK install!

@Dobbie03 @chroot @PackRat !!
Got it up and running!! You are the best!!

Now the fun part starts!

womp

2 Likes

Great to hear. I literally was of zero help but thanks to @natemaia @PackRat and @chroot for helping @womp .

1 Like

Cool. Now you have something new to play with.

1 Like

Thanks again and I have not forgotten @natemaia !!

womp

1 Like

Here is my first draft with dkwm.

I have a couple of small questions and maybe I can be pointed in the right direction!?

How do I set gaps for all ws in dkrc?

dkcmd set gap 6 {1-9,0}

did not work.

Is there a scratchpad or drop down for dkwm?
I tried the simplest possible with xfce4-terminal --dropdown but I can not get it floating.

I get a black border outside the “real” border of windows. Is that a picom problem or dkwm?

I have more but nobody likes “20 questions”!

womp

No. You would have to set xfce4-terminal to float so that the drop down terminal would float. The “drop down” for xfce4-terminal is the defined role for the terminal (WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) in xprop) and I’m not sure if dkcmd supports that so something like:

dkcmd rule role="^dropdown$" float=true

would be possible so that only the drop down xfce4-terminal would float.

It’s a dkwm feature not a problem. dkwm has an inner and outer border (like 2bwm). You can check the default configuration to see how to set inner and outer border widths and colors.

set ws=_ [apply] SETTING

“the ws=_” will apply the setting to every workspace.

In the default configuration there should be a line similar to:

dkcmd set ws=_ apply layout=tile master=1 stack=3 gap=0 msplit=0.55 ssplit=0.5

settings can be strung together; change that gap number to what you want. If you want the gap and borders to be present when only one window occupies the workspace, those are other settings you can find in nate’s write up..

3 Likes

Congrats!

Read dk manpage, it’s one of the most detailed man page. You can find pretty much all info you’re looking for.

$man dk

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!

Christmas is early this year!!

womp

2 Likes

Hi again!
I have been testing with wine and FINALE 24 (arranging software for work). I have to do this with Wine and itś working!!
I did earlier delete msplit and ssplit and could that be the reason X is crashing once in a while?
Happens when I handle files in Thunar (untar, unzip).
Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Otherwise this wm is very promising! Really fun to fiddle with!

If we want AL to be even more popular then dkwm could be it! (I wrote if!)

womp

womp

2 Likes

No, I noticed the crashing too last night and it’s my fault, manual memory management is a cruel bitch. I’ll try to get it fixed tonight, apologies to anyone else having the same thing happen.

5 Likes

Ok. Good to know!
Incredible work!!

womp

@natemaia @Dobbie03 , time to add dk into the installer? :grinning:

3 Likes

Up to Nate on that. He’s not overly keen at this point.

1 Like

Understood and accepted!

womp

That’s fine. Maybe it’s better to keep AL installer minimal. Anyway, we’re not Erik who wants to include everything he likes. :grinning:

4 Likes

:grinning:

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure I’ve solved the crashing introduced recently and moved the v1.3 tag to the current commit. If anyone is still getting any please let me know.

@cog I think the weird title issues you were having a while ago with xfce-term (and maybe others) should also be fixed.

@womp There’s still the issue of msplit/ssplit that I’ll be looking into and I’ll let you know once I have something useful.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow/

1 Like

No X crash here!! That was quick!!

womp

Hi again!
I get in trouble when I try to make “xfce4-terminal --dropdown” to float!
(I have used xprop to get values and have dk man open constantly)

I have tried things like:

dkcmd rule role="^dropdown$" "xfce4-terminal-dropdown" float=true

dkcmd rule="xfce4-terminal-dropdown" float=true

and some other combinations. I do not understand the syntax or if itś possible/supported.

Also tried:

dkcmd rule="urxvt", "-e", "-c", "tmux attach-session -dt dropdown 2> /dev/null || \t\t\ttmux new-session -s dropdown" float=true

So now I have 2 “snap-in” terminals. (actually useful but it would be better with float)
The only way I can get a window to float is grabbing it with mod1+pointer.

womp