Needing some new books to read - suggest to me an author

books

I’m in desperate need of something new to read. I love Sci-Fi and Horror so please, suggest an author for me.

0 Likes

Science Fiction:

Iain M. Banks (RIP): https://www.iain-banks.net/uk/

Stephen Baxter: http://www.stephen-baxter.com/

Alastair Reynolds: http://www.alastairreynolds.com/

Greg Egan: http://www.gregegan.net/

2 Likes

Excellent list thanks @Head_on_a_Stick. I already have a sizeable Iain M. Banks collection but will look into the others.

0 Likes

Did you read The Witcher (book series)? One on my favourites.

1 Like

No I haven’t @nwg, thanks for the suggestion, will put them on the list.

1 Like

Light of other days, Arthur C. Clarke
The Man From Earth, Jerome Bixby

1 Like

Thanks @Chris, already well set up with Arthur C. Clarke. Mr Bixby is on the list.

1 Like

Of course, I love reading books by Neil deGrasse Tyson if you are into Astronomy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am but I think they might be a bit heavy going for bedtime reading :smiley:

I do love reading Richard Dawkins though.

1 Like

You could try Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Daniel Suarez himself is a system admin, which gives him insight to how our tech works, which is the reason, why the book is pretty realistic in my opinion. It was originally marked as a Sci-Fi, but much of the stuff described in the book is actually doable now.

It has got three sequels. which are equally good IMHO. The book describes how a computer virus spreads over the internet and starts to kill people. It does not stop there, but more would be spoilers. Anyways, later in the books it tells the story of plutocrats trying to get their might back by destroying infrastructure. Reminds me a bit of the Article 11&13 stuff now. Makes me feel very bad. But the books are great.

The first time I read it was when I was about 14 yo, but I read it again at the age of 17. The second time I understood much more and was really surprised how far sighted the author is.

1 Like

Oh yeah, sounds good @Booming, will add it to the list. Thank you!

1 Like

The Guardian published a list of “must read” science fiction & fantasy novels a while ago:

Parts 2 & 3 linked at the end :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for that link. Man that is a hell of a lot of books to consume :smiley:

0 Likes

I wouldnt mind reading this one called “The Luminous Dead” by Caitlin Starling.

"A thrilling, atmospheric debut with the intensive drive of The Martian and Gravity and the creeping dread of Annihilation, in which a caver on a foreign planet finds herself on a terrifying psychological and emotional journey for survival.

When Gyre Price lied her way into this expedition, she thought she’d be mapping mineral deposits, and that her biggest problems would be cave collapses and gear malfunctions. She also thought that the fat paycheck—enough to get her off-planet and on the trail of her mother—meant she’d get a skilled surface team, monitoring her suit and environment, keeping her safe. Keeping her sane.

Instead, she got Em.

Em sees nothing wrong with controlling Gyre’s body with drugs or withholding critical information to “ensure the smooth operation” of her expedition. Em knows all about Gyre’s falsified credentials, and has no qualms using them as a leash—and a lash. And Em has secrets, too . . .

As Gyre descends, little inconsistencies—missing supplies, unexpected changes in the route, and, worst of all, shifts in Em’s motivations—drive her out of her depths. Lost and disoriented, Gyre finds her sense of control giving way to paranoia and anger. On her own in this mysterious, deadly place, surrounded by darkness and the unknown, Gyre must overcome more than just the dangerous terrain and the Tunneler which calls underground its home if she wants to make it out alive—she must confront the ghosts in her own head.

But how come she can’t shake the feeling she’s being followed?"

0 Likes

Seems interesting.

0 Likes