My humble thoughts on the 2018-12 release

First and foremost, a HUGE thank you to the devs for getting this out so quickly! And for preserving the Openbox default setup and dark theme. For the most part i immediately felt at home. I am happy and so relieved to have my new ssd set up again as my old mechanical drive was!

That said, everything that follows are just my observations after a short time with the new release. In NO way do i mean to criticize. Just my ramblings which i hope may be of help in some small way along the path of AL…

I was completely surprised by the “new focus.” Not necessarily good or bad, just wow. I took a quick look at Cinnamon, which i like, and decided I’m just not ready for an AL Cinnamon. I have no interest in Plasma or Gnome 3. I landed here as part of an effort to avoid such things. I need to learn tiling, but have not done it, so i kinda regret Awesome was dropped because that is the one i can learn from and still navigate. And as i always ask, please at some point give some love to fluxbox.

I very much appreciate having all the setup and choices in one stream, as opposed to the former reboot and then continue. Well done there! On the other hand, i find the install font or color or something not so easy on my eyes after trying to focus on it and make choices for some time.

Somewhere during the install on into lightdm and into openbox itself the default font changes from the very nice former one to a simple typewriter-ish one i don’t like so much. Is there a way the user can modify this?

All that said… AL Openbox is back! That’s what really matters and thank you for it!

Thanks for the critique

Contribute…

The reason full DE’s are so easy to add is that they require ZERO configuration.

I use dwm that’s why it’s included, the rest of the team uses i3 (aside from that bspwm loving @Toola), and openbox is just so ingrained with the AL userbase that removing it is simply not an option. Adding support for more at this point just means more fiddling with WM configs and that’s just not something I’m into (theres more than one reason I use dwm). Also interesting side note, we haven’t received one complaint about the removal of Awesome which goes to show how many people were really using it and not just “Thinking about using it” or “Logging into it once and a while”

This is fair, though its not exactly an environment you’re intended to live in it’s an in-out operation, most of my installs take around 5 min.

For fonts everything is configured in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf and we alias the names monospace, serif, and sans to use the DejaVu font family, if you prefer to set each application and WM font then just remove this file and change the relevant settings, or if you just don’t like that particular family then install one you do and change the aliases in your fontconfig to use it instead.

Cheers

Do what I did originally

pacman -S i3-gaps

pacman -R openbox

reboot

#noregrets

It also just now dawned on me we both have profile pics of a cat in a funny pose :smiley:

I hadn’t noticed either. Cool. That’s my Patches hugging my beer. He passed last year at age 14. The ultimate lap cat, he was “father” to half of the 4 i have now. A giant 5yo still tries to snuggle with everyone and everything as if looking for Daddy (think Psy).

Point taken, but doubt I’ll take the jump. DT on youtube kept talking openbox till i looked up arch openbox and found you guys. Loved it then; love it now!

Could you tell me the default in previous distros and now? Thx.

The terminals before all used DejaVu Sans Mono, the openbox window decorations and menu used Roboto and Ubuntu Regular.

Likely all you want to do install them and change your fontconfig

pacman -S ttf-roboto ttf-ubuntu-font-family
    <alias>
        <family>serif</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>Ubuntu Regular</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
    <alias>
        <family>sans-serif</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>Ubuntu Regular</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
    <alias>
        <family>sans</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>Roboto</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
    <alias>
        <family>monospace</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>DejaVu Sans Mono</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
    <alias>
        <family>mono</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>DejaVu Sans Mono</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>

Try that out

I’ve never looked at installers but I can have a look and see if I can help out with my designer’s eyes once I get back from the gym (and if the eye’s have charged to 100%).

Thanks Nate! Much better, IMHO.

Did you mean that once the install process is finished, and the login screen shows? Or during the install process?

To me it seems to be during the boot up. Maybe it’s just my laptop monitor sorting things out. The initial install doesn’t look so good to my eyes as formerly, but hey, AL Openbox is back so i am content.
At any rate, Nate has solved my font issues post-install, and as he says, the rest is just temporary. Now i find myself looking at Openbox and Fluxbox installs from wherever i can find them. Some i like more than others, but overall i think you guys have nailed it!

@natemaia said…
Contribute…
The reason full DE’s are so easy to add is that they require ZERO configuration.
I use dwm that’s why it’s included, the rest of the team uses i3 (aside from that bspwm loving @Toola) , and openbox is just so ingrained with the AL userbase that removing it is simply not an option."

Thanks for the info Nate, i did not know this. I don’t do Gnome 3 or KDE so i wouldn’t know. I can say the AL Cinnamon left me wishing you guys would stick with the minimal approach, but that’s just one user’s opinion. Wish i COULD contribute, but that’s the reason I’ve asked others for a nicely configured Fluxbox with decent fonts and themes. Maybe one day… or maybe FB is just not as configurable as OB.

All aside, THANK YOU ALL for AL Openbox that installs, boots, and looks/feels like the old one!!! It will be my #1 as soon as i can figure out a few ownership/moving issues which i may end up posting in another thread. You guys rock!