Moved to sddm from lightdm

I have had serious probs w/ lightdm that surfaced from the time I was testing yax (or at least that is when I noticed them). I could not debug. I re-installed it, but some of the problems remained. Finally y’tday I moved to sddm. Working really smooth. And dare I say looks better also than lightdm.

Anyone else frustrated w/ lightdm, all you need is sudo disable lightdm.service and sudo enable sddm.service (and install sddm from repos).

EDIT: I saw Dobbie had edited this post, but it seemed identical to what I had written. Figured out he moved it to correct category. Thanks dude. I am still new to this. But do love all.

Damn this lightdm man, I wasted so much time on it. Like we’re talking several hours of trying to figure out what the heck was wrong w/ it.

@natemaia, I do fear lightdm had something to do w/ the hosed yax tests. Will retest w/ sddm. I know pstree does not indicate interaction, but it could be some state that is changed by lightdm. I don’t know enough to state either way. But retesting will be done. I do want to run yax if it does not play those tricks on me (monitor hopping etc.).

Long live Samuel Paty!! Long live freedom, and respect to all fellow school teachers out there. We ain’t bound by no sharia law!!

It s weird, I never had issues with LightDM installed at a fresh install, wonder what happened. Or if you installed it after install & you had issues then.

Just my 2 Cent here .

Edit; Glad that you fixed your issues there @vinay

Lightdm sucks on Wayland, sddm is slow and ugly. I’ve been on ly for months.

Never heard about ly before @nwg

Thx for sharing.

Simple, TUI-based DM. The fastest I’ve ever had.

Hey cool @nwg . Didn t know about that, I must say that I m kind of happy with my installs, but they can all be faster .

I m not in that much of a hurry ! lol Just kidding here

If I could afford for having just sway and Wayfire installed, I wouldn’t use any DM. Still I need X11 for testing, and remote working. Zoom / MS Teams / Google Meet screen sharing doesn’t work on Wayland.

1 Like

Well that must suk, I remember that you need these for your job, pretty different from my side that s only for leasure, I mean it s not critical to me compared to your installs .

In that sense I might have had to do things differently

I’m a dyed-in-wool Plasmoid, hence SDDM comes with the territory. I’m well aware that it attracts its share of opprobrium, but for my part i very much enjoy it. Furthermore, for me it works fine in Wayland too… i just wish Wayland would also work well in Wayland :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It sounds like you just want the static workspaces I recently added support for, give it a shot and let me know