Mount ESP to /boot/efi instead of /boot

Hi there,

please excue me if this has been asked before but I was not able to find a concise answer. I would like to mount the ESP partition to /boot/efi instead of /boot. Is it possible to pause the installation process and change the default mount?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph

Not sure about the installer but it’s very easy to change the mountpoint after installation. The only caveat would be if you chose the systemd-boot bootloader because that requires the kernel & initramfs images to be on the ESP.

Is there any particular reason you want the ESP under /boot/efi?

I prefer to keep the ESP completely un-mounted to avoid damaging the FAT filesystem.

Apart from “I always did so”…no there is no particular reason. I would like to add an Archlabs installation to my already existing EndeavourOS and Windows 10 installs, and on EndeavourOS I have the following layout:

NAME             MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda                8:0    0 931,5G  0 disk  
├─sda1             8:1    0  1000M  0 part  
├─sda2             8:2    0   260M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─sda3             8:3    0   128M  0 part  
├─sda4             8:4    0 140,7G  0 part  
├─sda5             8:5    0   815M  0 part  
├─sda6             8:6    0  19,5G  0 part  
├─sda7             8:7    0     1G  0 part  /boot
├─sda8             8:8    0 757,7G  0 part  
│ └─cryptlvm     254:0    0 757,7G  0 crypt 
│   ├─vg0-lvroot 254:1    0   125G  0 lvm   /
│   └─vg0-lvhome 254:2    0   550G  0 lvm   /home
└─sda9             8:9    0  10,4G  0 part  
sdb                8:16   0 465,8G  0 disk  
├─sdb1             8:17   0  97,7G  0 part  
├─sdb2             8:18   0     1G  0 part  
└─sdb3             8:19   0 367,1G  0 part  
sdc                8:32   1  14,6G  0 disk

I’ll take a look tonight as I can’t remember off the top of my head if it allows changing the boot location.

The reason we do it like this is unification, this way all bootloaders can be installed using the same location because some require it to be /boot (efistub and systemd-boot I think), others don’t care and you can specify the location or they look in both (grub, refind, etc.).

Re the second post: That seems like a lot of partitions and potentially wasted space, choose one install to be the bootloader (AL and your choice for example) then allow it to boot all the others. This is how I’ve done it in the past at least.

1 Like

Yes that’s true. But some of those partitions are e.g. Lenovo recovery and so on I’d rather not touch anymore. As my main bootloader or bootmanager I chose rEFInd, so there would be no need for a dedicated boot partition if I understood this correctly.

But if this is possible I could simply install the way I always did.

For the time being the installer does not support changing the mountpoint of the ESP, as HoaS said it’s easy enough to change in post and unless theres more demand for it then it’s just time lost.

Or grep around the installer for /boot and make the required changes.

Maybe I just misunderstood something here. I always thought there should be only one ESP partition. If the installer creates a second ESP, and I use rEFInd to boot, is there a way to simply switch off the second ESP?

My mistake.

The installer doesn’t force you to make a second. Regardless of which bootloader you’ll need a boot partition, you can use an existing one.

Fairly sure all EFI bootloaders require a separate ESP from the root partition.

Yes, but that was my initial question. If I mount my current ESP to /boot, the kernel will be installed to this partition, so my existing partition will have some information only usable by Archlabs. I always used a separate boot partition mounted at /boot, and the existing ESP mounted at /boot/efi. In the Manjaro Architect installer there is the choice between /boot and /boot/efi as a mount point for the ESP.