Missing AUR Packages: archlabs-autotiling archlabs-ksuperkey archlabs-paranoid archlabs-skel-xfce4

Hi Eon,

It’s not recommended to use “yay” or other AUR helpers to clean up your installed system, instead, use pacman. In your case, you could try to,

1. identify packages you definitely need buy marked as “orphan” by pacman

2. change the installed reason to explicit,

$sudo pacman -D --asexplicit pkg_name

think that will clear the pkg from the orphan check.

1. after you’ve confirmed all needed pkgs are off from the orphan list, run

$sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qdtq)

to clean up.

8 Likes

thank you, that did solved my case. Thank you for guiding me in right direction, it means a lot to me! Have a nice day! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @chroot
Bookmarked post!
I didn’t have any required orphans, but good to know that- AND very good to know about not using yay to clean up

2 Likes

AUR helpers should never be relied on for general system maintenance, not that they’re bad at it. Just best to use the official package manager which doesn’t/can’t cause issues, plus weird flags and not everyone knowing what they do. Pacman is the one everyone has and is fully supported.

7 Likes

OK, (another of my) Dumb Q’s coming up …
I have just installed the new ISO on a VM in my AL
Absolutely no probs at all, all great!
I could see no difference from what I did, or ended up with, before
Is this because I selected i3 and OB?
When you say the DE’s were dropped, what is that referring to?
I have a hunch that this is me still not managing to fully understand the difference between DE and window manager?
Which and where were the DE’s dropped?
‘Noddy’ explanations welcomed :smiley:

On a similar note - there are two iso’s LTS and the other one - but then in the installer I get the choice to choose the kernel, LTS or vanilla. I have obviously misunderstood something as if this is so, then I dont see why there are 2 iso’s.

Cheers

PS all of above purely due to my inquisitiveness

1 Like

Here, read this, really says it well:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=54945&start=0#p314893

Edit; DE’s dropped: Gnome, Xfce, Plasma, etc

2 Likes

Thanks @eight_bit_al
that’s kind of what I understood, but I must have missed where the choice for a DE was in the installer of AL, as I only ever remember being given a window manager list including i3 OM etc
I seem to have Xfce in my AL (rocket menu ‘xfce’ brings up ‘about xfce’ and others), but dont remember any choice in the installer - I thought it was implicit?
However, in my new VM AL rocket menu ‘xfce’ brings up only ‘about xfce’

Some computers need the LTS kernel to boot properly and have the hardware work properly so an iso with LTS is provided.

2 Likes

I believe installing any part of the Xfce4 DE - like thunar - adds that.

Older inststall media included xfdesktop which has now been dropped while lxappearance has been added.

2 Likes

If you normally install i3 and openbox, your setups should look the same. Didn’t do much with theming and icons this release.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks that makes sense, so that’s why I have more xfce apps that I never installed (AFAICR) on my (old) AL ( see shot below, new AL in VM on ‘old’ AL)

So, this is another thing that I feel I never quite understood, with a rolling release you keep up to date, but that ‘upto date’ is not going to be the same ‘up to date’ system as you would have if you clean installed - even if you had never installed any other stuff yourself?

Aha! another mystery of my universe solved - Cheers!

When you do a clean install, the installer gets updated and then performs a net install of an Arch base system and any packages you select. There are some home-grown packages and choices that make it ArchLabs, but it’s a near-vanilla Arch install. Everything will be current. The user then keeps the system up to date.

Based on your package selections, and any AL specific packaging, you will bring in dependencies. For example, installing thunar or xfce4-terminal will bring in some additional xfce4 packages like that “About Xfce”. Those dependencies can start to conflict (dunst with xfce-notify for example) if you install a window manager and desktop environment. Cutting back on the installer options mitigates that.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

The packages will be up to date when you update regardless of new install or old.

Some things like config files (some in the skel packages we provide) are used once during install to set up the user’s /home/ directory with whatever we provide for [X] session. These are never used or copied again by the system. They’re left installed and kept up to date but it’s entirely up to the user to bring the changes into their own configs (or not). Imagine you spend hours getting everything set up how you like them we come along with an update and overwrite all your changes for a tiny change, unacceptable.

TLDR; your always as up to date as anyone else using arch/al but your home directory is your own job to “maintain” or not, it really shouldn’t matter once you set up your configs how you like.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion/question.

4 Likes

Thanks!