Midnight Commander gets stuck

When using default zsh shell, Midnight Commander - mc will get stuck/hang whilst changing directories there - happens with any directory. Also happens in tty. Other operations inside mc work, like using function keys to get to menu (F9) or viewing inside files, editing them (F3 & F4). Also hangs if launched with pointing to different directory > mc /etc

Hard-changing the user’s shell to anything else, let’s say tcsh… mc works normally.

Some plugin or setting might be interfering in zsh, can’t place my hand on it yet.

iso install is latest 2019.01.20 and opsys is fully updated.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, we’ve gotten a few issues like this (not specifically MC) and have decided including customised shell configs is not the best way to continue, future releases will use the shell’s defaults.

Regarding the MC issue: I’m fairly sure it’s the shell configuration that is causing it, mc just really doesn’t like fancy things like unicode or zsh colour escapes. The shell defaults are fine though so my simple solution if you want to use zsh would be to start fresh by removing ~/.zsh and ~/.zshrc.

1 Like

thnx, will do…

I can give you my completion setup script for zsh if you like, that’s the main draw but the default isn’t very setup.

can confirm, removing the zsh directory and conf file cured the issue and mc works fine in vanilla zsh. Thanks natemaia, but I prefer pure shell, no need for configs : )

1 Like

mc -u

1 Like

yup that will work but subshell is missing then from mc, I personally need it

Hello everyone! I am sorry if I push the topic up, I just wanted to confirm it still happens in the 2020.11.04 release. I found out here how to solve the issue. Thank you! One more thing. I come from Arch Linux, but I find Archlabs a great distro, not to mention the possibility to create subvolumes from the menu when using btrfs. Warm greetings from Romania

3 Likes

Can you confirm what line is causing the issue?

1 Like

The culprit is line # 130 in .zshrc, namely

bindkey – ‘^J’ down-line-or-beginning search

While being in MC, when you hit the Enter key to go into the upper directory everything freezes and F keys are disabled. This is the line responsible for such behaviour.

1 Like

I had a problem with my computer at office, where a Winblowz 10 update (did not use Win since September, but I needed to insert a digital signature in a series of pdf documents, and I can not do it with Foxit under Arch) resulted in rendering Refind unbootable. I mounted the / partition as /mnt and the /boot partition as /mnt/boot using the ArchLabs USB disk, but did not succeed in reinstalling refind. I then installed refind under Windows, but it refused to boot ArchLabs and I was not able to see the error message, but it seemed it can not boot the image. I deleted refind in Windows, including the tools directory and I found myself in the situation in which I could not boot into Win10. I reinstalled Win, the ArchLabs. I use a btrfs partition for / with 2 subvolumes (/opt and /var) and another large partition for /home (800 GB), with 2 subvolumes (/data and /miscellaneous). I installed refind but it did not boot the system, it booted directly in Win 10. After reinstalling refind in Win10 I could boot into ArchLabs. Can you give me a hint please where was I wrong and how should i follow when a Win 10 update messes refind? Thank you very much!