Macbook Pro Broadcom issues

Alright, I could use some seasoned linux help here because I’m 90% there with making my laptop work.

My WiFi is cutting in and out, similar to this post on the arch forums. Ethernet works great. Wifi cannot be trusted and is slow. It works fine if I boot into MacOS.

So here’s my deetz–
Macbook Pro 6,1 17" (Mid 2010)
Broadcom BCM43224
iw dev says:
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: bcma, wl

dmesg is throwing some shade about a few things that may be important.
“b43: probe of bcma0:1 failed with error -524”
“Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]”
“brcmsmac bcma0:1: wl0: 1 rx fifo 0 overflows!”
“brcmsmac bcma0:1: wl0: brcms_c_d11hdrs_mac80211: AC_VO txop exceeded phylen 153/256 dur 1730/1504”

So, is b43 running and brcmsmac? Is this my issue and I should blacklist one? I’m not sure how to check that. I’m hesitant to go poking around too much. I feel like I might make it worse. Any thoughts would be magnificent. Thanks!

Hi there!
I have installed arch and archlabs on a few Mbps.
I think you should try and install the broadcom-wl driver. My old Mbp 8,1 died this summer and I needed a new and am always short of funds so I found an old Dell Latitude on an auction for under 100. The Dell has the same wireless chip and I was sure B43 was the right driver but I didn’t work well so I tried Broadcom-wl and blacklisted everything else and now I am rather satisfied! To make things even more stable I went for dkms. Then you do not have to do anything extra if you change to a different kernel.

womp

2 Likes

Ok. I guess I have some reading to do. I need to learn how to correctly install broadcom-wl-dkms and go about adding others to a blacklist. If you don’t hear from me, I must have completely broke internet.

1 Like

You will get the hang of it! Just read blacklisting in arch-wiki and install pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms.

womp

1 Like

So I completely lost my wireless interface.

I’ve restored things back to how they were. Super slow wireless again.

I guess I need to read more.

Alright. I’m going to cautiously mark this as solved for now.

Here’s what I did:

The /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-wl.conf file states “this file overrides the default blacklist in /usr/lib/modprobe.d.”

I had a look at that file and copied the 2 competing jerks into /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-wl.conf, that is–
blacklist b43
blacklist bcma

now the output of lspci -vnn -d 14e4: states the following changes–
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: bcma, wl

More importantly, speed are same as MacOS WiFi!!

Prior output stated–
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge

So far, so good. :hugs:

5 Likes