Lured by people who like mathematics and metal

Greetings
I am a software developer from South Africa. What kind of software? Well, barely working software. Brand new to Arch Labs, not new to Linux but I have been looking for a new distro ever since GNOME 3 came out probably now over a decade ago.

I love the look and feel of Arch Labs so far, it is clean and it doesn’t really get in the way. Still finding my way around it. I would like to set up this machine as a development workhorse, mostly for Java, R and Python. Seems like there are packages available for all of those so I’m looking forward to this journey!

Also the fact that pacman is the package manager. Can’t resist a pun.

Well say hi if you like and FYI if I don’t reply I am feeding my pet giraffe.

3 Likes

Welcome here.

Thank you kindly!

Welcome here, mate! Using AL daily on my web development job, everything working fine :slight_smile:

Can you share the photos here? Please :smile:

3 Likes

Uh oh.

1 Like

Be very welcome @DevilEars!!

1 Like

Hey man welcome. I do most of my stats work in R on archlabs and it runs beautifully!!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

Do you run an IDE or just plain R?

Also I created a topic somewhere for noobs to get up and running. I was thinking of editing it into a goto guide for R developers once its got all it needs.

@DevilEars, How does one feed a pet giraffe?

Welcome man, from talking to people here… I’d love to see Brazil, New Zealand and have always wanted to see Africa.

2 Likes

Now that I have a better understaning of it I pretty much use Rstudio all the time. Its really easy to create packages and works bettet for my workflow.

1 Like

Welcome fellow Metalhead.

1 Like

@DevilEars what!? You don’t have a pet hyena!?:joy: Welcome aboard @DevilEars I love math, it’s probably why I went into engineering. At the time I got my degree, we had the old IBM PC and AMD 386(?) as well as the old apple 2. Here’s something that may tickle your mathematical bones:

Make a column of multiples of 9, 9*1 and so on. Then for each answer, add the individual digits for each answer. You’ll be amazed. This only works with 9.

By the way, don’t be afraid to ask questions or to give solutions. Here at AL, we try to help each other. Have a great one!

2 Likes

Hello @DevilEars and welcome to the forum

2 Likes