Loading i3. There is only wallpaper

Hello!
When installing archlabs, I put the openbox and i3 (through the application by “welcom”).
When I load i3, nothing but wallpaper. Hot keys do not work. Configuration files i3 are present.
Tell me please, how to set i3…

I was in the same boat a few days ago.

Super+x to logout and then login into i3.

@gorki

Super+x

Does not work
Absolutely nothing works

Anything in your ~/.xsession-errors file?

@PackRat
Hot keys do not work, can not open terminal, or file manager. I can not open anything in session i3.
I can exit session i3 only by pressing ctrl + alt +F5 reboot

I got
~/.xsession-errors in i-3 sessions

/ bin / sh: launch-polybar: command not found

(nitrogen: 721): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate the theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(nitrogen: 721): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate the theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfsettingsd: 758): Gtk-WARNING **: The loaded module is not found in module_path: "clearlooks"

(xfsettingsd: 758): Gtk-WARNING **: The loaded module is not found in module_path: "clearlooks"
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

xfsettingsd: No window manager registered on screen 0.

(Thunar: 794): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large

(Thunar: 841): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
Could not connect to the session manager: Could not connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
Could not connect to the session manager: Could not connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

(Thunar: 1022): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large

(Thunar: 1077): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large

xfsettingsd: No window manager registered on screen 0.

I’m not sure that would crash/lock up the entire window manager.

It’s i3-gaps isn’t it? Can you get get this default config file for i3-gaps and drop it in as a replacement? See if you get a working i3.

This configuration file is working.
But I would like that the config file from archlabs would work.
With all his design decisions.
I will try to deal with this

Why don’t you trying changing parts of the default config to the ArchLabs config bit by bit. That way if there is an error in our config you will notice it easier.

If you find an error please let us know.

1 Like

Good, the window manager itself is working.

Follow dobbie03’s advice -

you can compare files and start changing the working config bit by bit. Ultimately, you’ll get what you want.

What iso did you install from? I used the most recent, and the i3-gaps config file was working -

ArchLabs user files on git - i3-gaps config

you can try dropping that in as well, just keep that default one available as a backup.

Has to be done from the Openbox session, not when you’re logged in into an i3 session.

1 Like