Live ISO gets stuck

Hi there. I’ve recently installed ArchLabs on my Laptop (for testing) and found it quite nice. That way, I also wanted to get it running on my desktop. I tried using the same flash drive as I did for the laptop - ArchLabs boots and the Desktop appears. However, the hello/welcome script is not visible and the desktop is not functionable. Cursor etc. moves. The actual welcome window appears to be there (mouse cursor changes to the type-thingy and also the drag thing when i move across certain parts), but its invisible and the desktop is not working.
I wondered if I could just install it via CLI, al-installer works just fine there I feel but yet I doubt that that would fix my issue.
I’ve seen another dead-thread about this here that’s why I’m creating a new one, hope that’s okay.

May these informations help along, if anything further needed, ask me:
PC Specs:
i7-3770
RX560
Custom HP Mainboard (from an HP Compaq 8300 CMT)
28GB of DDR3-RAM (yes thats a weird one).

ArchLabs ISO ver: 2018.05

If anything further is needed I’ll be there and there might be a chance to get this resolved, seen from the other thread I’m not the only one to get this.

Have a nice day.

Your laptop has a video card¿?
In my case, i have laptop with nvidia video card and in some distros it crashed because drivers for my video card isnt install.

My Laptop uses an Intel Integrated GPU, as said, on my laptop ArchLabs runs just fine.

Yes but i see that you desktop pc use RX560 video card

Well at first I wouldnt expect that to be the issue because the desktop actually appears, but if it’s that, what would you say to get around? My CPU actually has an integrated one as well but I cannot use it - nor do I want to.

Have you ever had installed on that pc archlinux??

Not on that one, fairly new replacement with other parts.

take a look
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

look

Is that Nate s latest iso test disk ! Which he updated this weekend.

@jainda will do, thanks in advance. guess i’ll try a install via command line and see if i can get that installed.

@altman excuse me? what latest iso test disk

@kyu

Guess it s that one link, just ask Dobbie to test one.

It might help you in there.

Edit:typo

@kyu, ^ that is the testing iso. My suggestion, if you want to go ahead with the one in your USB, is to run an update via terminal (sudo pacman -Syu) before running the installer.
Welcome to the forum, btw.

2 Likes

Good call @pippo

1 Like

Could also use 2018.03 then use sudo pacman -Syyu to update to the latest version of AL. Btw, 2018.07 is the latest version, but is in testing phase.

https://forum.archlabslinux.com/t/2018-07-testing-release/1196

3 Likes

I thank all of you, I will give just give the 2018.07 ver a try and see if that one does the trick. Will let you know and thanks all for the support.

Oh and nice to be here @pippo.

Hello @kyu and thank you for the detailed bugpost

Please try the latest iso linked by @altman above, if you are still experiencing issues, I can (hopefully) get it resolved.

I’m not sure whether the HP board could be the issue, or what else could be causing this, possibly an Xorg config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

If you know how to install Arch then most of the setup is fairly straight forward, the main difference being instead of running pacstrap we just unpack the squash file system with rsync

# MOUNTPOINT is the root mountpoint of the partition, usually /mnt
rsync -a --info=progress2 /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs/ /MOUNTPOINT/

I can possibly create a walkthrough of how to do a manual install if there is some demand for it.

Cheers

2 Likes

That would be a great idea, but takes some time .

Edit: Can you please post what s the mobo s models in here, might help somehow.

& it s weird, 05 is what worked out of the box on my old lappy, but might be much different to your motherboard.

I’ve had issues with both .05 & .06 being able to reboot after installing apps through al-hello. Yet @natemaia and some others are working just fine. I am wondering because we can’t set partitions to journal may be the issue, especially when you have an Intel motherboard, which is similar to the Hp motherboard. I can’t get back to the desktop because it hangs after grub choice. Could also be an Xorg issue of not getting to the xstart command? I am gonna try installing .07 on a spare partition and see if I can pinpoint the issue, that’s if there’s any issues, and use @natemaia debug script to see if that finds the failure.

Short update; With the new test iso everything seems to work (regarding the liveiso, install worked, all boots etc.). By now I’m just fighting with some weird screen and workspace displacements in my dual monitor setup. All kinda strange - is there something known to it?

It really depends on what gpu manufacturer you have.

My personal experience is only with nvidia and intel integrated graphics, both of which the way I set things up is by creating an xorg config. In my case I use a system wide config /etc/X11/xorg.conf but you can also do so individually by creating the directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/… configs here should be named as follows

20-nvidia.conf
20-amdgpu.conf
20-intel.conf

You really want to read the wiki as all I’m doing is stating the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU (first try with the amdgpu default driver before trying to switch)

Another option is to use xrandr and put the commands in ~/.xinitrc with some of the other startup commands, see this section https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Xorg_configuration

1 Like