Linux is laggy with Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card

I have an Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card. Its with any distro really where Linux can become incredibly laggy. It doesn’t matter what DE I am using.

With Archlabs specifically after installing these packages nvidia-340xx-dkms nvidia-340xx-utils I edited this file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf I changed the line MODULES=() into MODULES=(nvidia) and ran sudo mkinitcpio -p linux then I rebooted the system and I have confirmed that the Nvidia drivers are successfully running.

It seems to be behaving a bit odd though with web browsers, it would be smooth but if stop doing anything on my PC for like 10 seconds, then it gets laggy, especially when scrolling on web browsers, minimizing (only with web browsers), animation lag with browsers, and opening the start menu on KDE gets laggy, but if I scroll up and down in certain websites or if I am on another Window, then the lag goes away until I stop doing anything for around 10 seconds or more. I have tried using all the GPU flags for chromium but that doesn’t make a difference at all.

I believe that either there is a process or something that is making the graphics card do unnecessary work or the graphics card decides to lower its processing power.

I have done a graphics card benchmark test using phoronix-test-suite and I specifically used OpenArena to conduct the test on both Windows 7 and on ArchLabs (on the same computer) and it seems that Windows 7 outperforms Linux.

ArchLabs

Results

Stats

Windows 7

Results

Stats

Is there a way to optimise this Graphics Card on Linux more while preventing this random lag I get on web browsers?