Legends of Drumming

He could play some drums, I mean, really play some drums:

1 Like

Another fav of mine;

1 Like
1 Like

Hahaha, I have many nicknames for Tomas though my favourite and oldest is ‘Tompa’

Tell the pints that giving me shit won’t bring me back any quicker.

1 Like

Right now they are singing karaoke: “O Dobbie boy, the pints, the pints are calling”. What is strange is that they sound more like Groundskeeper Willie instead of anything Irish. It might get worse once they get into some Thin Lizzy.

Which is why I switched to Lagunitas.

lol, weird , I just looked at a video of Tommy Lee s studio by Warren Huart on his Produce Like a Pro YT Channel today @darknetmatrix .

Tommy Lee is more a legend because of a sex tape than being a drummer lulz.

It might sound better?

Let’s just say that added to his infamy more than anything. I think, personally, that he is a bloody good drummer.

1 Like

I snuck in some Bulgarian Wedding Band on their playlist, I was surprisingly impressed. Even teh Lagunitas joined in, as falsetto.

He got better from their debut forward, and I liked what he did on the track “Live Wire” using cymbal chokes that created space and was effective using only one note, and as I posted earlier, he was stellar on “Dr. Feelgood”. But I still dig what Steven Adler with GnR did more, like how he played on “Welcome to the Jungle”:

For one thing, this swings. If you listen to his hi-hat during the verse, it sounds like he uses his left foot on the hi-hat pedal for the upbeats, like an open/close pattern - dish-up dish-up dish-up - that to me is very cool, and this is what I copped for a original song that I played with the butt-rock band I mentioned. I like drum parts that sound like they are constructed, especially in rock, because they are better for the overall song structure. In rock music, personally, I play with the guitars, the riffs. With butt rock, you not only kick the butts but also can swing the butts, as Adler did in the verses. Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer is a master at this, making rock tunes swing, so is Phil Rudd with AC/DC, and swing adds more style to the tune, as well as groove.

Edit: Kieth Richards said, and I am paraphrasing here, that with rock, ya gotta have the roll, and swing is the roll.

He’s pretty good at those.

I’m not sure if I really like those guys, still can’t make my mind up however many years later.

“Appetite” is the only album I bought, and I fucking can’t stand “Sweet Child O’ Mine” because of all the bands I have did sound for play it. It’s like "Don’t Stop Believin’’ now. They should ban the main guitar riff in music stores, like the sign in “Wayne’s World” - No Stairway to Heaven.

Gotta have some Billy Cobham in here:

I used to play this one with a band, I love to play AC/DC tunes. AC/DC without Phil Rudd ain’t AC/DC:

I heard a rumour that it was illegal to show kick drum cams of Tomas Haake performing. Reason being that he puts every other drummer to shame to the point of that they give up on drumming forever.

2 Likes

I met this drummer when I did sound for a jazz club in San Francisco. I bought his book - Bass Drum Control - years before, so when he came in to set up, of course I tried to sneak in some tips while helping him.

Funny thing is, his hand technique was so awesome (he studied with Joe Morello for years) that I payed more attention to his hands than his right foot lulz.

I use his technique but with a bit of snap with it for power. I don’t bury the beater into the head, I play off of it, like he does. I also do an exercise that Mike Bordin of Faith No More showed me while we were hanging out at a drum clinic watching Tommy Aldridge (who when I first met when I was 18 years old asked about his bass drum technique) and Deen Castronovo (who smoked Aldridge on double bass drums because he played thrash up in the SF Bay Area) that you can do while away from the kit, where you tap the ball of your foot on the floor and snap it back. It works the “twitch” muscles so to speak.

Haake I would assume does clinics, because almost all drummers who are endorsed by drum and percussion manufacturers do, and drummers love to share with each other (as Bordin did with someone like myself) when it comes to the art, and as you can see, there really is no secret to the bass drum pedal technique, the pedal itself has been around for 100 years or so, improved upon as far as technology (and IMO, the simpler the better, I like a simple strap/cam pedal more than say JoJo Mayer’s uber expensive one on the market), and I figure at one of Haake’s clinics, that would be a point of focus, his bass drum technique. Derek Roddy shreds on them and there are plenty of vids on his feet, Simon Phillips is a god to drummers like Roddy and Haake and he shares his double bass drum technique all the time to the point where there is no point in asking because of all the information Phillips has given. I played two 24" bass drums for years, you can only get so fast on a 24" surface that is not tuned as tight as a snare drum, and if you really wanted to get the definition, you play smaller bass drums like 20" bass drums because they are quicker.

Edit: Bernard Purdie said he plays an 18" bass drum because “you can kick it a lot harder”, and he is Bernard Purdie, one of the most successful and influential drummers in music.

1 Like

Thx for sharing @drummer , didn t know that drummer.

He might be not as well known, but he has quite the career, he even played with Miles Davis as well as a lot of other “big name” players. He is a sweet and terrific man, a true gentleman. I used to rap with him every time he played a gig at the club.

1 Like

Here is another Bailey clip, this one showing how he sets up his pedal to achieve the execution of his technique. Again, the pedal is a very simple mechanical device that has been around for 100 years or so, his particular pedal is a very simple one that is a strap/cam combo opposed the chain driven ones, and as he says, it really doesn’t matter, what really matters is spring tension, and the angle of the beater to where it’s optimized how fast the beater comes back after you commit it to the drum surface.

Like I said, there is no real secret to technique:

1 Like