Learning more (read 'something') about how Linux 'works' overall

Hi,
I’d like to learn more (read ‘something’) about how Linux ‘works’ overall

I’d like to do this by reading a book first to get an overview

Is How Linux Works by Brian Ward good?

I noticed it covered ‘the two major distribution families: Debian (including Ubuntu) and RHEL/Fedora/CentOS’
Will this mean it will not be as useful for Arch?

And / or any other (polite) suggestions?

Chaars!

1 Like

No need to buy a book. There’re many free articles/books online for this kinda topics. You could follow the table of contents in the book and google for it. Pretty sure you can find enough to read. Archwiki and Youtube are two great resources, too.

3 Likes

As far as learning how Debian works, their Administrators’ Handbook is free to read online - Debian Docs.

Most of the major distros have some sort of free documentation online. Slackware also has one in their documentation section. It’s older, but Slackware doesn’t change much. It’s a good baseline reference for Linux.

3 Likes

Thanks @chroot and @PackRat

Call me a Ludite, but I like books - must be my age :slight_smile:
I can get it cheap on abebooks etc too

I know there is more than enough info out there, but that’s the problem
If someone has done the groundwork I will pay a bit for the shortcut

This seems to have it all set out pretty logically

I find the ArchWiki and Deb Docs etc great if you have a problem, and someone more knowledgeable points me in the right direction, but IMHO they dont give a good overview for someone who doesnt already know enough - unless you just want to install or something similar
I’m going to get it and see if it helps
I have the idea that after reading the first few chapters it will all become clearer than the mud it is now :smiley:

I was just wondering if the various Linux’s (Debian, Fedora, Arch etc) follow any kind of standard in the way they are put together

1 Like

The problem to learn from a tech book is that the contents in the book are usually outdated given the technologies evolve so fast.

2 Likes

I find a Kindle or other Ereader a good compromise. Like a book, fresh material.

1 Like

Good point
But this should get me going I reckon
And 3rd ed is from April 2021
Once I get a rough idea, perhaps the online stuff will make more sense to me

Love my old Paperwhite - Calibre combination
Moon+ reader on android fab too
Actually, I am not a big fan of the Calibre book reader - what are the good Linux ebook reader apps?