Kicking the Tires - Ramblings about various Linux Distributions

Installed CachyOS to bare metal. The choice of systemd-boot, prior to the launch of calamares. A few options, including a series of cachyos kernels. Defaults to xfs, but there are the usual other choices. Online & offline install options with your choice of a variety of desktops.

1 Like

Once calamares does luks2 it’s gonna be very interesting.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link @cog. The first I’ve heard of phyOs.

In the immutable hemisphere the latest Nitrux. Debian based, mainly using own apps and appimages. Liqourix kernel. XFS. Reinventing the wheel (own apps, maui-kit), using Appimages and two Latte docks (I thought Latte wasn’t maintained anymore). Styling nice, but that doesn’t make me join them for now.

3 Likes

NP. I just heard about it from them implementing better encryption. Calamares laid down the groundwork already, they’re just the first to implement it.

2 Likes

NixOS. This is serious stuff :wink: You can edit the configuration file in a text editor, add all packages you want (Nix claims over 80.000 packages available) and ‘rebuild’. Is very quick, and the old image remains saved. Good thing: many themes, icons and extensions for Gnome are available in their repo, as well as recent kernels. So basically don’t need flatpaks, half-baked workarounds or so to get all up and running in the immutable OS. Cool.

5 Likes

Very nice. NixOS is a keeper. Cool ideas, fairly large user/community base and good documentation.

1 Like

Yes, I will try this KDE config here the coming days anyway and I’ll start preparing a Gnome configuration.nix file as well for the laptop. Indeed, user forums are extensive and the documentation is concise and clear. Found the right parameter for the most recent kernel to be loaded in a couple of minutes. And this time I bu’pped my .nix file already so its easily ‘transportable’.

Switched to the Beta stream of Fedora Kinoite. Current version there now supports both system updates as well as application updates from a single interface (see the update notifier on the top right corner). There is a lot going on in this space, with Ubuntu, XFCE and Mate containers now available on top of Fedora Silverblue. Switching is a simple rebase away, with the underlying core remaining the same.

3 Likes

Nix has a large, only bested by AUR in a list of package options. Plus a point release paradigm. It’s just wierd as hell when you want to do system level stuff. Gotta declare it. It’s an awesome system and really pays off when you invest the time.

Edit: forgot to mention FS agnostic snapshot rollback functionality.

1 Like

Not running Kinoite, but have migrated back to vanilla Fedora.

3 Likes

PikaOS just came across the wires over at Distrowatch …

1 Like

This seems to be a interesting project

3 Likes

Personally, I enjoy the new Linux tech projects. Feels like an enthusiastic new vibe in the Linux world that may be centered around a new, younger generation with some interesting ideas. Sometimes, we get a little stale at points in time, only to be rejuvenated every decade or so.

Do you know if they include an encrypted install?

wouldn’t know, came across this project while surfing

Cool! I’m currently posting from Siduction, a German distro based on sid (Debian unstable), and it’s going well.

1 Like

I spoke too soon - Siduction froze when I tried to log in about half an hour ago, so I’m posting from another distro now; LegacyOS, an AntiX spin created by John Biles.

2 Likes

Always had great luck with Siduction.

3 Likes

It’s probably the best way to use sid.